Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1999 heat and other issues

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2014, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 heat and other issues

Hello all.
I have a 99 Cavalier RS with the 2.2 engine. (For this post, consider: I'm in Chicago, average temp the last 2 days was about 35-40). When the car starts, the temp gauge stays at cold for about half a mile after which it proceeds to jack straight up to the last mark before the red overheat mark. However, despite it appearing to be very warm, I can only get heat when I'm moving, and even then it's only for a few seconds at a time. When I stop and pop the hood, the entire engine and radiator area feel warm, but not hot enough to warrant the gauge to be that high. I just had a new fan and relays put in in July to fix a previous overheat issue, and the coolant appears full. (The entire system was flushed in July)

Also, on another note, in the mornings when the car is cold, I hear this terrifically loud growling noise from the front passenger side. It stops after I get in 3rd gear, it's enough to vibrate the entire car, and it doesn't happen when the car's warm (driving mid-day)
Old November 2nd, 2014, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 cavalier did the same thing.. It would go to middle 180-190 degrees then red zone..
Checked the fan, hoses, fuses, new water pump, new thermostat, flushed radiator, all air out of system.. Finally did a flush (reserve) on the heater core and running great.. There was so much rust and junk.. I used CLR and air compressor.. If you do this watch the youtube video..