Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2000 cav Z24 sputter when accelerating

Old December 27th, 2011, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 cav Z24 sputter when accelerating

X wifes Z24 makes a sputter sound when accelerator pushed to floor and while accelerating. Can take it up to 5000rpm with no sputter in N if pushed slowly. If nailed to floor it makes a weird sputter sound. When driving it sort of does the same.

My original thought was fuel filter but it doesnt stutter or shudder like it is running out of fuel. No jerking or sounding like it is going to stall just a weird almost misfire kind of sound. I work on my own stuff all the time. This is hers(in the city) so I dont have much access to it, but if I fix it I can save some money

Before I sold it to her I had changed plugs and boots/wires. Probably about 1.5 years ago. Low mileage since. guessing it only has 180 000 kms. Dont recall if I did fuel filter. Sure that I would have but easy and cheap to do anyways, just doesnt quite seem like that is it.

She said it just started doing that on her way home from work the other day. It can hit highway speed, just not in a hurry. Engine light comes on so I guess I can get it checked if I cant figure it out easily.

Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions. Told her to bring it out to my garage this weekend and will do fuel filter at least. Maybe once it is in the garage I can check some other stuff and figure it out.

She said she wont drive it till then.

Thanks for your time and any help you can provide,

Brad

Last edited by Brad Davidson; December 27th, 2011 at 9:33 PM.
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

I am new t Cavaliers, but the book says spark plugs first, then fuel injection system, then clogged fuel filter, "fault in the engine control system", then air leak in the intake manifold, and then finally "a EGR system malfunction".

I would do the fuel filter (just did one on my daughters 2000), then check the egr valve. those are simple cheap fixes that probably needs done anyways.

Since the engine light came on, a repair shop should be able to check the code, even if it isn't on now.

Good luck.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry. I know I should have replied with the fix. It was one of the coil packs. I think she said around $300 installed with new windshield wipers