Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2001 Cavalier lost electricity after switching off

Old October 24th, 2014, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Cavalier lost electricity after switching off

The first time it happened was 2 days ago.
I pull into park lot and turn the engine off and pull the key out.

All of sudden, I got a very strange feeling and I did not know what the strange was. I sat in the car about 20 seconds, then realized the radio was also off. Radio usually went off when I opened the door and I noticed the clock was also off.

I got out of the car and tried to close the door using remote, car did not respond. I tried to use the power button on the door, nothing happened.
I went in to the car and insert the key, turned it on. Everything worked.

After, I drove two days without any problem until this afternoon.

I drove from one building to another building. After around one hour, I was going to drive back.

When I started car, I heard a noise, similar the the sound in the radio with bad signal, but still not sure what it was. I noticed red brake light was on, Trac Off ,ABS, Check Engine light were all on. I did not stop and kept driving back the my office. It was 2 minutes driving. I did not hear or feel anything abnormal.

I pulled into parking lot, and turned engine off.

This time I clearly saw what happened.

The electricity was totally off. Hands of speedometer, odometer, ,temperature, fuel meter were all stuck in the place where they were. No radio, no power door, no clock.
I tried to turn the engine on, but it did not respond at all.

I waited around 50 seconds, I heard a zzzzzzzzzzz sound, and electricity restored. Hands of fuel, odometer, and etc went to zero. clock was also back. Power door worked.

Since then, I drove 5 times without any problem. I went to garage. Engine code reader got nothing (except small leak).

Mechanic told me he had no idea about that. It looked OK to him.

Two more things, 1. My check engine light has been on for 3 months for small leak, this is known. 2. I have had a device provided by insurance company connect to my car for one and half year.

Insurance's device connects to ODBII. I saw the light was keeping on during lost electricity time.
I noticed I have to reset the clock every time when this happened.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by david10708; October 25th, 2014 at 10:09 AM.