Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2001 cavalier stalling ??

Old February 14th, 2017, 2:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 cavalier stalling ??

2001 Cavalier, 2.2 motor, automatic, keeps stalling randomly when stopped in traffic. Pcm is not reporting any codes, it has a new fuel filter, and fuel pump was replaced 9 months ago. I had the fuel tank out a month ago, and removed the crimped butt splices on the wires, replacing them by hard soldering, heat shrinking, and taping the connections at the tank. Today had car up on jack stands, had engine running for over an hour, at normal idle, poking at wires and connectors at sensors, looking for intermittent connections. Checked continuity of power from fuel relay to connect back at to tank, all OK. I was about to give up, I let the hood drop to close it, and the engine stopped dead. Tried to restart engine, would not start, jumped the power at relay, still would not start. Hit bottom of fuel tank with a rubber hammer, retried to start. and it started. Ordered new ACDELCO pump and filter. Will replace pump and filter when parts come in.
Old February 25th, 2017, 4:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New OEM pump installed, Problem solved.

Search this Thread