Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2001 Cavalier Z24-Engine cranks but will not run

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2016, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Cavalier Z24-Engine cranks but will not run

Long story short. Bought this car. Originally it ran after working on it for a while and got it home.

Then realized that accessories were "wacked" out meaning I would turn the directionals and the radio display would dim. Turn on the lights and something would go wacky.

Come to find out the previous owner attempted to install a remote start system. Another long story short realized he only partially installed it and not all the components came with the car. After researching the remote start system I was able to remove it completely.

Problem now is that when I attempt to start it the engine some times runs for a short period of time but it sputters, coughs, and stalls out with almost like a short quick backfire sound. Most times if I crank it the engine will not even start.

Changed the fuel pump completely including the sender. Cleaned the gas tank out.

Checked the resistance on the injectors and they were fine. Tried to check the voltage also but not reading anything. Placing one probe of multimeter on the body ground and the other on one of the two pins on each injector. I know the ground is good because I place the other probe on the hot terminal of the battery and I get 12v. If the car starts it won't run for long (maybe just a few seconds) while I have my foot on the gas pedal all the way down. When I do get it to run for a short bit if I put my foot down on the gas pedal all the way I only get about 1,100 RPM If I spray Carbon Choke Cleaner in it it runs only as long as I am spraying it into it.

Some of the wires were tapped into when he attempted to install the remote system like the ones in the steering column namely the ignition. I cut the wires that were going to the modules of the remote start system and left the remaining wire piece spliced to the wires he connected them to and covered with electrical tape. I only did this to be sure I had completed the uninstall correctly. Example: He attempted to tap into a wire needed. He stripped some of the insulation on the wire he had to tap into, he then soldered the wire from the module of the remote start system and then taped up the connection. I cut the wire going to the remote start system and taped up the end of it. I left enough wire length in case I needed to tap to it again not knowing for sure if I had removed the remote start system correctly.

Any ideas as to what it may be please. Getting desperate!!

Please even through anything out there. I will do my best to follow your directions.

Thanks