Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 Cavalier

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2006, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Cavalier

Okay..here goes....as per my previous message PepBoys stated that it was the ingnition cylinder. I took it to where I purchased the car...DRIVETIME...guess what they said it was? The fuel pump....how the fuel pump can make everything go dead is beyond me...but since it was still under warranty...I said go ahead, put it in....of course I knew my car wouldn't start when it was time to leave....and my car came thru and didn't start...inorder for the car to get into the bay they had to pull the fuel fuse and put it back in...they then (drivetime) put three techs on it...no luck...they have now sent my car to the Chevy dealer and it has been there for 2 days...Drivetime said that they think it's the PCM (under warranty from chevy)....when I called today, they said Chevy still doesn't know whats wrong with it....What do you think????????? is it time to have a funeral for a 2002 chevy with 56,000 miles on it...2.2 L4 engine??????Do you think the Chevy dealer will actually find out what is wrong with it? I don't even think either Drivetime or the Chevy dealer even considered what was the original diagnosis from Pepboys....the ignition cylinder. Any ideas that may be wrong would be helpful..
Thanks in advance..
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: 2002 Cavalier

What is your car doing?
Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

what's it doing you asked...well it starts but doesn't kick over...almost sounds like it is flooded. per Pepboys all charging systems are running great. they said ignition cylinder..the day I took it to my dealer (tuesday) I had no power what so ever...almost as if someone stole my battery..(no one did)..I had to have it towed to the dealer (Drivetime)..they said it was the fuel pump...oh yeah..fuel pump has alot to do with NO POWER!!!! (it was under warranty...so I said go ahead change it...what the heck maybe I'll get more than 25 miles to the gallon then) luckily when I went to leave it didn't start again...had power though....the mechanic had to take the fuse out for the fuel and put it back in to get it to start..by the way all my fuses are good....none of the mechanics at drivetime could figure out what was wrong with it, so they sent it to the Chevy dealer thinking it was the PCM, from all that I read the PCM will not got changed unless the dealer is positively certain that this is the part...if not they have to eat the cost of the PCM...anyway my car visited the dealer for 2 days....of course the dealer said there was nothing wrong, it started just fine for them...they sent it back to Drivetime to replace the crank shaft sensor and the brake switch..they said if it happens again (no start) I should take it back to the chevy dealer...per my receipt from drivetime...scanned module for DTCS no signal to ignition module from PCM (installed new crank sensor) itermittent no start-no spark possible PCM referred vehicle to dealer for diagnostic dealer unable to verify complaint. I told drivetime several times to change the ignition swith cylinder, but somehow they refused stating that this is not a normal occurance in 2002 cavalier...however I quoted the msn auto site that says it is an intermittent problem..asked again if they even checked that, again I was quoted that it is not a normal occurance in a 2002 cavalier. What can I do now? I brought the car home on Friday evening....when I went to leave Sat for work..same thing, almost didn't start...i have a wierd sound when I put the key in the ignition and put it to the start mode...sounds like the computer in the car is rebooting....if it happens again, should i try tricking the system 10 min in start, 30 seconds in off, 10 minutes....etc...do you think its the ignition switch, or even cheaper the key itself? maybe the resistor in the key isn't working...I'm at a loss as to what to do...I only have 55,000 miles on the car...only had the car 5 months...and honestly can not afford to put to much cash into the car...any help you can give me I would greatly appreciate or any ideas as to what to do next...I'm afraid that since I was having a problem yesterday...I only have 4 days left before no power again....that was the pattern last week...
Thanks for reading and I eagerly await a response...
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]
[sm=helpout.gif]
[sm=feedback.gif]

Could somebody please help me figure out what to do next?
Thanks!
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:14 AM
CF Senior Member

If you had no power that is electical. When Drivetime pulled the fuse what fuse did they pull and how long? I know that you may not know, but if they pulled it then left it out for a min or two it will reset the computer. Is the ignition cylinder under warrenty from the chevy dealership? If so I would show them what you found about it and tell them Drivetime refused to replace it and see what they say.
That is all I can think of at the moment. I'm sorry about that but their are a lot of things that can shut down a new car.
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Sorry. If you take to to chevy be sure to tell them about your turning the key and holding it the turning back and all that to get it to start.
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

fuse...was fuel...but Drivetime said it was a fluke..when they got it back to the bay...wouldn't start...they thought PCM..they sent it to the Chevy dealer...chevy dealer said there was nothing wrong they got it to start, sent it back to Drivetime...they got it to start..of course when I got in the car and drove home...won't start...The PCM of course is under warranty..by Chevy but you know as well as I that Chevy won't replace unless absolutely necessary...the ignition switch is not under warranty by either Drivetime or the Chevy dealer...So...do you think I should try the 30 minute on/off senerio? I have had the car sitting in my parking lot for a little bit over a week now...
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:50 AM
CF Senior Member

It sounds to me like that could be very likey the cause, but I am not sure. When it dosen't start does the engine turn? If it does it could be a fuel pump relay.
If I think of anything else I will let you know.
Old September 24th, 2006, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Just thought I would let you know...Finally got it fixed and it was the ignition cylinder. Thanks for all your help!