Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 Cavalier AC problem WEIRD ONE! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2010, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I've been having a similar problem with my 02 Cavalier for about three years now. Engine would surge in idle which followed the A/C compressor kicking on and off. The root cause was the high pressure switch connector. This past month, the car started dying at stop lights and while in heavy traffic. I replaced the Idle Air valve and this fixed the dying problem, but not the surging. (I'm not 100% sure if the two were related... ). I then found this forum post from Google. I replaced the high pressure switch connector as suggested. This fixed the spurious surging, but it would still surge in idle. I then noticed that the fan was not coming on. I jumpered the relay and the fan was OK, so I replaced the fan relay. My hunch is that the intermittent connector(which I verified as intermittent with a multi-meter) caused both the idle air control valve and switch relay to cycle much more then they were rated for and caused there premature failure. Total cost for all three parts was about $150. Thanks...
Old September 28th, 2010, 5:32 AM
CF Beginner

These guys are helpful and get most a/c and cooling parts at good prices.
www.autokool.co.uk
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tgweb00
Thanks chuckles for the heads up- I had this same problem on a '02 Cavalier and your advice fixed it! There was a bad electrical connector at the A/C temperature sensor. I noticed that the problem got worse when I jiggled the wire leading to that connector. I replaced the connector and problem solved. The part # is 88988301 - it wasn't cheap, $56 at the Chevy dealership. Rockauto.com has it for $31. Standing in front of the car, the connector is in the front left area of the engine compartment, right above and in front of the serpentine belt. Look for a group of 3 wires coming off of the main wiring harness and going to a metal a/c pipe. Here is a pic from rockauto.com:

http://198.208.187.182/internet/Part...partnbr=PT1825
I know this is a really old post and all but I could really use this photo to help me find the wires and stuff that you all are talking about here. Our 02 cav is having the same problem here and we would really like to be able to get it fix. If someone could help that would be great, I have looked for the wires and what not that are being talked about here and I can't seem to find them. I know once I see them it is going to be one of them right in front of my face things.
Thank you to any and all help on this
CJ and Family
Old July 31st, 2011, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by atvrcr500
I can rest easy tonight Replaced the Hi pressure switch connector and vavoom!!!! it works. I am so happy I will not be messing with the dealership for a while now. Well I can say is THANK YOU to the forum. The local dealership had no F***ing clue as to the problem all they would say is it is the compressor because it was not a Delphi.
The orginall one had blown the relief valve in the back when the hi pressure switch stopped working so I did need to replace the compressor, dryer and orfice. But when the dealer kept wanting to sell me a PCM I went to looking............ Yes I did buy the PCM and I truly do believe it was not the problem.
The problem was the wires to the high pressure switch. Yes I gave it more room and have wired tied it so it can not get into the belt.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Have a great weekend and I will enjoy my drill weekend LOL
your post helped me but where was the high pressure switch located and how did you install new one
Old May 19th, 2012, 12:39 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2002 Chevy Cavalier. When I am driving the fuel gauge, temp gauge, and radio loses power for 5 to 10 seconds and comes back on. This happens about every 10 minutes. I have replaced the ignition switch but no help. Wondering if the bcm is going out but it leaves no codes or if just a wiring short?
Old September 28th, 2012, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Guys,
I have the same a/c issue with my cavalier 2002. I've paid 320$ two different mechanics without fixing it... Now they want me to replace all the computer of the car. It will cost ~800$.
I told them about the info on this forum but they don't believe me. I guess I need to do it by myself. Does anybody have detailed info of the procedure and parts to replace the a/c compressor connector and wires?
Unfortunately I don't know much about cars and I am $800 sort...!

Thanks
Old September 29th, 2012, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

I just got this part from Rock Auto and put it on yesterday. Sorry no photos but I'll try to explain. As said in this thread, the plug is located in the front left of the engine compartment. It is on the AC tube running along the radiator support and my wife's 2002 has the black flexible tubing covering the tubing at that point. There are three wires on the plug.

The plug itself is hard to see because it is mounted vertically off the tube on the bottom. I was able to push on the tubing cover and see it between the tube and the radiator support where there is a clip you have to release to pull the plug out.

I pulled the plug out and cut the plug one wire at a time leaving enough wire on the plug so I could see the colors of the wire so I could match the new plug. The new plug has all white wires so you have to be careful to match the wires. The wires are red, gray, and black.

These wires also have the flexible plastic tubing cover, I carefully cut some of the cover back making sure I did not cut one of the wires to make more room for the connection. The I just compared the two plugs locating the colors and their position on the plug. The kit comes with wire connectors so I hooked them together one at a time taping each of them and checking them twice to be sure they were in the correct position. There is some excess wire when done so you have to either tape it or use wire ties to keep it away form the alternator pulley and belt.

It is a relatively simple job and took me about 15 minutes. Hope this helps some of you in deciding to take on the task. It fixed this problem for me.
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Thank for the info Papee!

I found it but I can't pull it out.. I release the click but it is like it is stucked there. I am afraid to pull really hard in case I brake something.

Anyway, I will buy tomorrow the wire connector and let's hope that it will also work for me (if I make it to unplug it!!!)

If you have any other ideas please let me know
Thanks again.
Old June 20th, 2013, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

i found this thread awhile back when i was searching the similar problem-- a 2002 cavalier with problematic a/c. the problem started a long time ago, and our garage at the time said it was definitely the compressor and would be $600 to fix. so we let it go.

once i found this thread, i took it in to our current garage and explained the common problem to them. they also researched it and replaced the high pressure switch as has been suggested by many people here.

so that was last week. but now it's back to cutting out again whenever the car idles or is parked. what would have fixed the problem temporarily? i joined this forum just to try to get some more answers.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Kev E Fly:

Did you replace the high pressure switch connector: This was my problem, not the actual switch, but the switch connector. Look through the thread to find the part numbers needed. A suggestion is to add about 2-3 inches of slack on the harness when you replace it so it doesn't happen again. Also check your fan relay, the constant cycling of the AC caused my fan relay to burn out early.

Quick Reply: 2002 Cavalier AC problem WEIRD ONE! HELP!!