Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 Cavalier AC problem WEIRD ONE! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2013, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it was the connector that was replaced. also now the bottom to fan/vent speeds stopped working. another google search told me that it was the blower motor resistor. i find it very strange that something that's been fine for the eight years i've had the car would suddenly become an issue after another part had been replaced.
Old July 26th, 2013, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

Just found this site trying to fix this exact problem. Found the pig-tail at Advance Auto Partsfor $20. Took longer to find my sodering gun than to fix the Problem.
Thanks Guys!
Old May 27th, 2014, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

All, my wife's 2002 Cavalier was experiencing many of the symptoms described in this thread. My fix was extremely easy.

The stress on the wires to the high pressure sensor was definitely tight. I noticed that the trunk from which the wires came was harnessed to a black bracket just below the alternator using a split snap connector. Using a small screw driver I split the connector releasing the trunk of wires. I snapped the connector back together with nothing running through it. Using a tie wrap, I strapped the trunk of wires to the OUTSIDE of the snap connector. This released all the tension in the wire connector to the HP temp sensor. I drove the Cavalier for about ten miles in rush hour traffic and none of the symptoms came back. The a/c was on full blast and yet the car idled smoothly when stopped. I was lucky as this suggested that the HP Temp Sensor was working and none of the wires from the harness were broken.

FWIW, if you need to remove the HP Temp Sensor it is very easy to do. You do NOT need to evacuate the Freon. First, pull out the wire connector to the HP Temp Sensor. Then, using a 9/16 wrench, loosen the HP Temp Sensor and simply unscrew the temp sensor. Putting it back is just as simple, just be sure not to tighten it too much with the wrench. A mere nudge should do.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

JPCoffey
Old June 14th, 2015, 12:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chuckles
Wow - I was out on the net and found your pfoblem - I have had the same issue with my 2002 vehicle and have not found an answer. Apparently the garage I take my vehicles to is stumped as well!! Have you found a fix? This problem with the surging is paticularly unsafe as I have had the car actually pull out into traffic while at a stop sign. The issue there is that I'm not ready for the increase in rpm and it catches me off guard. I also checked on other forums and have not found and fixes. My understanding is the Chevy knows about the issue and has published documentation as such but, no fix for the problem....?
OK here is what I have been able to figure out. My sister has a 02 cavalier and it was doing same thing but it also would shift hard and TRC off would also pop up. It all went back to temp switch being bad. Changed it have had no problems since.
Old June 5th, 2016, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Just to make it clear, the device is a pressure sensor, not a switch. It is a potentiometer, one end of the pot goes to ground, the black wire, the other end goes to plus 5 volts, the grey wire. The red wire is the wiper. I didn't measure the resistance, can't provide any info there. To bypass the pot so the system thought there was pressure, I used a small piece of 22ga wire from the grey to the red wire. Also found that the AC relay can be inserted backwards, just won't work. I found an intermittent relay, removed the cover, operated the armature manually and got the clutch to engage. On this system, I recovered 8 oz of 124a, recharged the system with the 1.5# as required. Now working fine, suspect the relay was intermittent, recommended to the customer to replace it. Another happy customer.

Jim