Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 Cavalier hinge pins?

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2014, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 Cavalier hinge pins?

Looking on the forum, there's a couple folks that have searched for information on how to replace the door hinge pins without answer. I find myself searching for this information, since my driver's door is sagging low and needs new pins. Has anyone done this job before? I'm assuming the pins are replaceable, as many parts-companies have replacement pins available.

How does one go about getting the old pins out? Are we supposed to cut them out? If so, what did you use to cut them out?

Please take a look at your cavalier's hinge pins and let me know what you think. I don't see how they can come out without cutting in half, as the top and bottom are both mushroomed out like they were pressed in from the factory.

Thank you!
Kevin
Old September 17th, 2014, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kwkincer
Looking on the forum, there's a couple folks that have searched for information on how to replace the door hinge pins without answer. I find myself searching for this information, since my driver's door is sagging low and needs new pins. Has anyone done this job before? I'm assuming the pins are replaceable, as many parts-companies have replacement pins available.

How does one go about getting the old pins out? Are we supposed to cut them out? If so, what did you use to cut them out?

Please take a look at your cavalier's hinge pins and let me know what you think. I don't see how they can come out without cutting in half, as the top and bottom are both mushroomed out like they were pressed in from the factory.

Thank you!
Kevin
Sounds like it is the bushings on the pins.

One would just normally knock them out, no?

A dealership should charge about under an hours worth of work on this type of job. I had a door replaced it was quick.
Old September 17th, 2014, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Things probably have changed since my 1987 cavalier I never looked at the door hinge on my 2002 cavalier.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cav...acement-42532/
Old September 17th, 2014, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kwkincer

Thank you!
Kevin
I found this ...

How do you replace drivers upper door hinge on a 2003 Chevy s-10 pickup

which led me to this:

How To Fix A Sagging Car Door - Replace Hinge Pins On A 1999 Chevy Blazer, GMC Jimmy, Chevy S10, GMC Sonoma - 1994 to 2004

Does that look like your setup?
Old September 17th, 2014, 9:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

for my 05 you could only buy the compete hinge. if there is a repair kit I couldn't find it.
Old September 18th, 2014, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

sledge.impy, I've watched those videos and figured this was going to be an easy job. The problem is that there's not really a long 'pin' in each hinge, but instead some kind of button **** things that don't look removable.

Attached are the replacement hinge 'pins'. This is for the drivers side only, 4 replacement parts per door (two for top, two for bottom).

The other pics show what my hinges look like, and should help explain the trouble I'm seeing.
Attached Thumbnails 2002 Cavalier hinge pins?-p1-4-.jpg   2002 Cavalier hinge pins?-p1-3-.jpg   2002 Cavalier hinge pins?-p1-5-.jpg  
Old September 18th, 2014, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

I found a whole assembly on ebay for passenger side.

Looks like they bolted it off.

2002 Cavalier Front Passengers Upper Door Hinge | eBay

Found this for 2002 cav:

How to Replace Door Pins and Bushings in a 2002 Cavalier | eHow
Old September 18th, 2014, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks sledge.impy. The write up doesn't appear to be for a cavalier, as it explains a scenario where there's a long pin to drive out on top and bottom. Replacing the whole hinge is an option that I should keep in mind if all else fails.

The goal with this particular cavalier is to do the needful and sell it, as we need to reduce the vehicle fleet at home... Would sure like to get the door closing correctly and not sagging first.
Old April 25th, 2015, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Late to the party. I just had this done on my 2000 Z 24 coupe's driver's door. The door hinges bolt on and the pivot is mushroomed in place and cannot be driven out without first grinding or cutting off the peened over mushroomed pivot.

Instead, the preferred method(by my bodyman!) is to replace the hinges complete with OEM GM hinges top and bottom. There are no aftermarket cheapies available and he sprayed them body colour before the installation. Works great and out the door for under $200 CDN.