Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 Cavalier interior windshield icing up/fogging up - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2013, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Cavalier interior windshield icing up/fogging up - suggestions?

hi everyone.

i found this forum a few months ago when i was having mad difficulties with the a/c unit in my car. turns out it was the common problem of the blower motor relay needing to be replaced.

now that it's winter in minnesota, we've noticed that we are having a heck of a time keeping the interior windshield from fogging up and icing up. in my various googlings of the problem, it was suggested we use the re-circulate function for the temperature, rather than just straight up "heat."

this morning i had to start the car and let it warm up before we left the house. i made the mistake of using the re-circ but having it on the front vents and not the vent on the dash directly under the windshield. so we had to scrap away ice before we could drive it.

i'm wondering why this has become such an issue this year. it's never been this bad of an issue before. is there something i should be checking? is there something that could have happened when the a/c was worked on that would have caused this? what kind of settings should i have it on to keep the windows clear?

please help!!
Old December 11th, 2013, 4:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The defroster mode should be turned on WITH OUT recirculation.

Originally Posted by Kev E Fly
hi everyone.

i found this forum a few months ago when i was having mad difficulties with the a/c unit in my car. turns out it was the common problem of the blower motor relay needing to be replaced.

now that it's winter in minnesota, we've noticed that we are having a heck of a time keeping the interior windshield from fogging up and icing up. in my various googlings of the problem, it was suggested we use the re-circulate function for the temperature, rather than just straight up "heat."

this morning i had to start the car and let it warm up before we left the house. i made the mistake of using the re-circ but having it on the front vents and not the vent on the dash directly under the windshield. so we had to scrap away ice before we could drive it.

i'm wondering why this has become such an issue this year. it's never been this bad of an issue before. is there something i should be checking? is there something that could have happened when the a/c was worked on that would have caused this? what kind of settings should i have it on to keep the windows clear?

please help!!
Old December 12th, 2013, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

ok i'm really confused now.

this is an internet image i found of the same car. the first setting on the temp control is the circle of arrows. when you use that, the a/c light comes on. does that mean it's recirculating? the a/c button is not pressed down at all. the same happens on the final setting, which is the top dash vent only.

do i need to actually run the a/c with the temp turned to heat?
Old December 13th, 2013, 8:31 AM
CF Veteran

ok i'm really confused now.

this is an internet image i found of the same car. the first setting on the temp control is the circle of arrows. when you use that, the a/c light comes on. does that mean it's recirculating? the a/c button is not pressed down at all. the same happens on the final setting, which is the top dash vent only.

do i need to actually run the a/c with the temp turned to heat?

The far right dial, at the far right setting is a windshield picture. The AC should turn on with that. The light should turn on with or without the AC button pressed.

If you choose windshield + feet, the AC needs to be turned on manually.

Are you getting air conditioned air coming out? Or regular air? Regular air won't help in defrosting.

The only recirculation that happens is on the far left, when AC is on MAX.

Does this help?

Are you sure your AC is working properly?
Old December 14th, 2013, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

turns out that there is some kind of door on the heater that isn't closing, which is why this is happening. if they can get to it without tearing the dashboard apart, it should be fine. otherwise it's about a $1000 repair.
Old December 14th, 2013, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

turns out that there is some kind of door on the heater that isn't closing, which is why this is happening. if they can get to it without tearing the dashboard apart, it should be fine. otherwise it's about a $1000 repair.
Might be vacuum related. You should here a swish noise happening.

The door should only close on Max ac.