Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 Cavalier LS

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2015, 6:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Cavalier LS

My problems started out loosing my headlights and found out it was the turn signal and cruse control ****. They replaced it and that one was faulty so got a new one. I use the cruse control a lot. Well my ABS brakes have been acting up now and sensing I am sliding and not.HARD TIME STOPPING! They put it on diagnostic test and said the showed rear hub and bearing assembly needed replaced. Done. The problem is that the abs is still doing it and even on dry pavement you can feel it. They suggested replacing the 700 ABS module. They said that is the only thing it could be. My question is could the speed control on the cruse control be effecting the ABS breaking system. If I replace the module that's going to be $1,000 and could they be on the same wiring and have a fuse involved? I don't know much about mechanics but as you see didn't have it done on guess work. Thanks for any help if anyone ever had these problems

Bev
Old February 21st, 2015, 11:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it only do it with the speed control engaged? Kind of strange if it did since it should disengage when the brakes are applied.

Do you feel it on the brake the pedal or is it only a noise you hear?

I haven't studied the 2 systems, they should be entirely independent.

Do all your brake lights work properly?
Old February 23rd, 2015, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using the speed control and seems to be working but always thought when I set it at 35 and I go down hill it should slow the car down not go 40. I heard today that Chevy had a lot of problems with the cruse controls. I wasn't using it when the ABS brakes kicked in. I was on flat ground and came to a stop sign not even fast and put the brake on and the pedal went down and just didn't stop. Went about a foot or two past the stop sign. I am having a friend that has a garage take a look at my brakes and the sensors. I know i have to get the car washed and maybe they may be dirty and may be affecting them. It is in the pedal that time. When I was going down a steep hill the road was clear but there was a stream of water going across the road and the like alternated over the puddle. Then it was ok. When I took it to Firestone it was on dry ground and I felt it in the pedal. I'm going to have everything checked out this or next week including brakes and fluids too. I told the guy from the shop about when I make right turns and there is some snow the front slides but when I turned left in the snow there wasn't a problem I hit a little packed snow going straight put the brake on and just didn't stop and went about a couple feet then too. I was pulling out from a school which wasn't shoveled very well. I'll have to check the lights I know my headlights are working now . I am also wondering if this cold 0 chill factor weather is effecting them too. I warmed up the car before I left this morning and was about 10 minutes down the road and it sounded like my heater fan was going up and down and as it did that my headlights were too. Just dimming a little bit. Then it stopped. I think this car is really about had it. Me too. Thanks for getting back to me. Greatly appreciated.
Old February 24th, 2015, 8:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms Bev
I have been using the speed control and seems to be working but always thought when I set it at 35 and I go down hill it should slow the car down not go 40. I heard today that Chevy had a lot of problems with the cruse controls.
That is incorrect. The only system that would do that is the adaptive cruise control, which was never an option on Cavalier or Cobalt.

Stressed Out? 2014 Chevrolet Impala May Offer Some Relief

The way your cruise should work when going 'down a hill' is the accelerator will ease up and you'll be coasting in gear effectively.

I wasn't using it when the ABS brakes kicked in. I was on flat ground and came to a stop sign not even fast and put the brake on and the pedal went down and just didn't stop. Went about a foot or two past the stop sign. I am having a friend that has a garage take a look at my brakes and the sensors.
"The pedal went down and just didn't stop" --- The brake pedal went to the floor or did the car not stop? Or both? Was there snow/ice on the ground? Water? If the brake pedal went to the floor that's a serious safety issue.

I know i have to get the car washed and maybe they may be dirty and may be affecting them. It is in the pedal that time. When I was going down a steep hill the road was clear but there was a stream of water going across the road and the like alternated over the puddle. Then it was ok. When I took it to Firestone it was on dry ground and I felt it in the pedal. I'm going to have everything checked out this or next week including brakes and fluids too. I told the guy from the shop about when I make right turns and there is some snow the front slides but when I turned left in the snow there wasn't a problem I hit a little packed snow going straight put the brake on and just didn't stop and went about a couple feet then too. I was pulling out from a school which wasn't shoveled very well. I'll have to check the lights I know my headlights are working now . I am also wondering if this cold 0 chill factor weather is effecting them too. I warmed up the car before I left this morning and was about 10 minutes down the road and it sounded like my heater fan was going up and down and as it did that my headlights were too. Just dimming a little bit. Then it stopped. I think this car is really about had it. Me too. Thanks for getting back to me. Greatly appreciated.
Cars don't stop instantly in snow or ice. ABS allows you to have some steering control, and you don't need to pump the brakes.

You might want to inspect/check your battery cables for being loose or corrosion and test your battery/charging system.