Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier, 2.2L, Overheating Issues

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2010, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier, 2.2L, Overheating Issues

I'm really at my wits' end at this point.

AC didn't work for a while. Compressor went. So got a new compressor, new drier, new hoses. Mechanic put it on. Worked for a while and then was haphazard. Said it needed flushed again because when the compressor went, it caused a lot of debris in the system. Ok, flushed it again. Worked for a while then did the same thing. Now before this, it never ran hot but then all of a sudden it would start running hot. I would gun the engine, it would cool down. Start getting hot again and then started overheating all together. Thought it might have been the water pump and thermostat. Changed both out. Didn't fix the problem. Said it was a blown head gasket. WONDERFUL. Had THAT replaced. Mind you this is all in a matter of two weeks. Spark plugs changed. Oil changed along with replacing the head gasket and it SEEEEEEEEEEMMMSSS to be running alright, although last night it did stall when I turned the wheel tight to the right AND was going up a steep hill. Put some air in the front tires and hasn't done it since.

Now this MORNING, I was coming to a stop (under 10mph) and the oil light comes on. I go through the light and start speeding up again, and the oil light goes OFF. I start slowing down again down to under 10 mph and it goes on again. Now I'm currently at work and I checked the oil at lunch after running the car for MAYBE 5 minutes and it looks like it MIGHT have too much oil in it. I'm going to go for a small drive after work for about 20 minutes and check it again but would that cause the light to go on and then go off again? I also noticed no coolant or anything in the reservoir tank so I put some water in there for now until I can get to Napa and get some Dex-Cool. However, what I'm noticing is that the temperature gauge is hovering at one notch ABOVE the middle. Yesterday when it was running like a top after the head gasket had been put on, it was right at 195 and never budged but now it's right at that one notch above and that's how all this overheating CRAP started before.

If it starts overheating again, what else in the world could it BE!!?!?!?!?!?!?
The following users liked this post:
Cedoux Rouchoux (March 29th, 2021)
Old May 21st, 2010, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will have to take it to the mechanic again or sell it
Old May 23rd, 2010, 2:36 PM
CF Active Member

The gasket is blown again, must be warped head.
Old May 27th, 2010, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Well to the original poster, what is the conclusion?

Is this another one post wonder?
Old May 29th, 2010, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

Wow, pardon me for starting a new job and not having any time to get back online.

Well, things WERE going well with it. It wasn't overheating, I put a good bit of 50/50 in there and everything was running smoothly .... until this morning. This morning, I turned on my AC as I backed out of my parking spot and as I turned it on, I heard this metal-to-metal scraping sound and everything stalled and stopped. I couldn't turn the car on if the AC was on. It wouldn't stay started. As soon as I turned off the AC, no troubles. Car runs like a dream. Compressor? Belt? I *JUST* had a new compressor put on about 3 weeks ago and the garage has informed me that they refuse to do any additional work untiL I pay the $200 I owe. However, I refuse to pay the additional $200 I owe them because THEY HAVEN'T FIXED ANYTHING RIGHT and what they "fixed" has caused me ADDITIONAL lost time from work and ADDITIONAL money.

Thoughts?
Old June 28th, 2010, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Just a thought!

Take it to the dealer the next time. They do charge more but they fix it right the first time. I had to learn the hard way myself. In the end It costed me less. Less time from work to pay the extra.
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default maybe need to a new cylinder head

I had a similiar problem with a blown head gasket. It turned out that the head was cracked and need to be replaced. I bought a new aftermarket head from this place http://kingcylinderheads.com/ couldn't beat the price and the quality of the head was surprisingly good. Runs like a top ever since. Good luck!
Old October 3rd, 2017, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default Help!

I have a 02 cavalier and it is overheating. I've check my antifreeze and it is good. The odd thing is that it only overheats when I use the blower fan. I am very confused because I was always told if my car was overheating to turn the heat on full blast to help cool it down. It doesn't matter if it is on AC or heat. The minute I turn the fan on it starts over heating. Any advice is greatly appreciated.