Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2003 cavalier takes FOREVER to start.

Old December 6th, 2016, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 cavalier takes FOREVER to start.

Ok. Its a 2.2 eco. For some reason, I'll sit there for at least 3 minutes cranking the starter to get it running. It'll turn over dry for about 2 minutes (that's when it starts to kick like it'll start). I changed the fuel filter in high hopes...but no go. A friend of mine thought it may be the crankshaft sensor so he changed it....no go. So then I went to AutoZone to use the obd2 and it only threw up o2 sensors. I was under the impression that once an 02 stops working, that's it. I can still start the car and drive it wherever no problem....just reeaallyy hard to start. Would I maybe just need to clean them? Any suggestions appreciated.
Old December 6th, 2016, 8:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

once its started, if you shut it off and then restart it; does it work fine?

if yes, the fuel pressure may be leaking down, either back to the tank or past the injectors.

try priming the fuel rail by cycling the key to run
key on for 3 seconds to let the fuel pump run...key off...repeat 3x and then turn the key to start.
Old December 7th, 2016, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Tried

Took out a spark plug and the end was a lot more wet than usual . figured that maybe it's getting too much fuel and flooding itself. I tried priming multiple times and doesn't help any.
Old December 7th, 2016, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
once its started, if you shut it off and then restart it; does it work fine?

if yes, the fuel pressure may be leaking down, either back to the tank or past the injectors.

try priming the fuel rail by cycling the key to run
key on for 3 seconds to let the fuel pump run...key off...repeat 3x and then turn the key to start.
sometimes it'll start back up, it's a coin flip
Old December 7th, 2016, 9:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and check for fuel pressure leakdown.

it will not be 02 sensors as they are ignored during start up and also until they heat up and go into closed loop operation.

the plugs are flooded at this point. take then out and dry them out.
Old June 18th, 2017, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Hard starting

I have a 2000 that was hard starting. Garage said o needed a fuel pump and was replaced, same problem. Replaced camshaft sensor, new plugs, wires, same problem. Looked in trouble shooting in Hanes manual, and was pointed to temp. Sensor. Replaced sensor and engine started right away. Also, found out that the wiring hareness on early 2000 cavaliers used aluminum wiring for the sensors in the wiring harnesses. Check all of the wiring on sensors and add ground cables
good luck

Search this Thread