Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2003 Cavalier tries to start but won't fire all the way

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2013, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Cavalier tries to start but won't fire all the way

I have a 2003 cavalier with a 2.2l ecotech, and 210,000 miles. Last night I parked my car in my driveway at my new house. It is a pretty steep driveway. It has ran fine with no problems other than burning about 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles. I go out this morning and it wont start. I opened the air supply tube and there was oil in the hose. tried to start it and nothing. Not even with starting fluid. I then tried starting it with the throttle fully open and it would just sputter and die kind of like it's not firing right. I replaced the plugs and still the same. I took the plastic box off of the throttle body and it did the same thing, except it would fire a little then kind of put put put die... like it wanted to start running(with full throttle while starting and letting off the throttle when close to firing). but not fully fire all the way. Could the oil in the air supply have leaked into the throttle body overnight and cause problems in there. There is fuel coming out of the valve on the rail with key on pretty steady. I am just confused on the not firing all the way. I seen that I should check the coil pack with a tester. How would I go about doing that on my set up. Any help will be greatly appreciated. and how much would a fuel pressure tester cost?
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:42 PM
CF Junior Member

If you sprayed ether into the intake and it didn't run, you don't have spark. Checking the fuel pressure is a good idea, and you can find a tester pretty cheap at Autozone or some such place, just make sure it will fit a GM... most of them do, but I don't shop parts at Autozone. The ignition module and coil pack is all one unit, I will do some looking to see if I can find the testing procedures.
Old November 12th, 2013, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks much. It does seem to be getting some spark. I will get a pressure tester soon and figure out the pressure on fuel and get back to you.
Old December 16th, 2013, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Ignition switch