Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2004 Cavalier Base oil pan replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2016, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Cavalier Base oil pan replacement

My kids cavalier needs a new oil pan. I have located several but none seem to have a gasket available. Is it possible that a gasket is not used with this years oil pan and only sealant is? Is there a specific kind of sealant to use if that is the route to go? thanks!
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

it uses rtv. the best product is gm/ac delco engine sealant
Old May 7th, 2016, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Excellent! Thank you very much. thought I was losing my mind that i couldn't find a gasket. I normally have my kids buy books for their vehicles but don't have one yet for this car. Is this a pretty straight forward repair. No dropping engine or removing rear end to access anything?!
Old May 7th, 2016, 2:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

remove engine mount strut bracket. move the ac compressor to the side and remove the oil pan.
Old May 13th, 2016, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

Awesome thanks

for the help. Got the pan off and saw that it appears the sealant was applied to the engine mating surface not the pan. It does'nt look like it was on the flat surface of the pan but just on the inner rim. I tried to mark it on the new pan picture. should i try to get it in the same place or just on the flat surface of the pan?