Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2004 Cavalier Ecotec 2.2 Pulling head

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2014, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Cavalier Ecotec 2.2 Pulling head

I am looking for info on pulling the head on this Ecotec 2.2.

I am a DIY mechanic, part time, helping family, and close friends with car, truck, motorcycle, Atv, gokart, scooter and anything in between lol ...this is one that I am currently starting work on today.

I can't find many threads about this process with included pics, maybe I'm not putting in the correct "Key Words" . I don't have a OTC manual for this engine, but have a good basic idea on how this thing comes apart from searching the internet for hours upon hours.

I prefer to hear from real folks that have performed this task successfully

I would appreciate it!
Old April 19th, 2014, 10:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a DIY mechanic myself ... although I have done it for living in past. If you have some experience all you need is tightening pattern and torque. Should not be hard to find in Google. But then again, spending a few bucks on Haynes (yea I know) will pay back.
Old April 19th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you can get a cheap short term subscription to Mitchell on demand or all data. identifix is a good site also.
Old April 20th, 2014, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Segfault
I'm a DIY mechanic myself ... although I have done it for living in past. If you have some experience all you need is tightening pattern and torque. Should not be hard to find in Google. But then again, spending a few bucks on Haynes (yea I know) will pay back.
thanks for the input, and good to know there are other DIY mechanics out there that have done this for a living.

I did locate the bolt removal pattern along with the torque specs and sequence

from a source online, and will check into an online manual if I need it
Old April 20th, 2014, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
you can get a cheap short term subscription to Mitchell on demand or all data. identifix is a good site also.
thanks for the input. I will probably go with Mitchell online

I remember those were the best, back in my younger days
Old April 20th, 2014, 12:21 PM
CF Active Member

I did my 02's head by the seat of my pants. I guess I'm a shade tree mechanic, never for money. It was my first 4 cylinder and computer car. I did use new bolts as I heard they are only good for one stretch. Still it was cheap insurance . I used torque and sequence using Google. Nothing in the job was hidden to make it difficult. Pretty straight forward.
Old April 20th, 2014, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

I am at the point that I need to remove the top engine mount. I am searching for info on that procedure.

I placed a hydraulic jack under the front of the engine, jacked up the engine a tiny bit to relieve pressure off that mount, however when I started to remove the 15mm bolts almost all the way out. It look and felt like the engine wanted to torque to the side, so I wrestled it back in place, and torqued the bolts back in, just to keep it in place.

I think there is some other point of engine support for this one, so I'll go search for that manual

thanks!