Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2004 Cavalier Transmission Linkage Problem

Old April 8th, 2016, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Cavalier Transmission Linkage Problem

A neighbor just gave me his daughter's old cavalier. Only problem is it doesn't run. Well, it doesn't start because it will only start in Park and the linkage to the transmission is kaput. He had this problem before and paid a couple hundred bucks to have it fixed, a few years ago. Now same thing, but he doesn't know exactly what was replaced. So I have a free car, but I have to find the problem and fix it, or I only have a free car that doesn't go.

I asked around when he first suggested giving it to me, and I was told that often the problem is a small plastic bushing on the transmission, external to the actual transmission case, and that this is a very common problem, which would not be a problem if Chevy just used a metal part there instead of plastic. Anyhow I was hoping someone here has had some experience with this problem. He just towed it into my parking lot and I haven't even been underneath it yet. Wanted to type my initial post while my hands are still clean lol.

Apologies if there is some FAQ or Wiki that I should have known to check first, but I am new here and this is my first post, and I am in need of help. Thanks for any you can give me!
Old April 8th, 2016, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Update:

I investigated (wow that part was really hard to get to... Had to lay on top of the SIDEWAYS engine!) And was able to put it in park with the lever on the tranny, start it, put it in drive the same way, drive it closer to my boat where I can work on it more conveniently, and park it. The cable is attached to the tranny so obviously it is unattached from the shifter. So I got to figure out how to get to that. Any advice appreciated.
Old April 8th, 2016, 9:57 PM
CF Veteran

sounds like the shift cable came apart or is out of adjustment, you'll have to take the center console out to access the shifter side of it
Old April 10th, 2016, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

Update...

I found instructions for removing the console. The inside of the gearshift **** disintegrated but no biggie. The connection to the shifter is intact. Further investigation reveals that there is a clip that seems to be there to hold the cable in adjustment where the cable sheath is secured under the hood. One side of the plastic collar with the slots for the clip is broken off, so only one side of the "U" clip is held properly. The other side is just out there in space. Checked with every single chain auto parts store in the city, and nobody has the cable assembly. I found several onlike, on fleabay and amazon and since I am still good on my free trial of amazon prime, I got one there for $59.67 and it will arrive Monday at my mailbox. I will pick it up Tuesday and install it Tuesday evening. So looks like I still have a fairly cheap DIY fix for my free car. I need to replace the fan clutch too but at least I will be able to drive it. The cable part number is
ACDelco 22737100 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Control Lever Cable

Sorry about the gargantugodzilla font... pasted from the product listing. I will check back in when I got it going so anyone else will know the part number is good and the fix is do-able.

Search this Thread