Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2004-Gas In Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2010, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004-Gas In Air Intake

I have an 04 Cav. with a fuel/air issue.

Was having problem with car dying and running badly,
but would run fine at highway speeds.
Then next day, no prob., but once driven has same thing.

Had a split gas cap, replaced.

Removed air pipe from filter/to manifold and found
over a quart of gasoline in the tube.

No evidence of outside influences
( ie: dirt/residue from intake or injectors, leaks anywhere, etc. )

Air filter itself is totally clean,
not even a smell of gas in it.

Would a crankcase ventilation problem cause this?
Maybe the fuel pressure regulator??

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

ps: does this thing even have a pcv valve??
Old June 28th, 2010, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

I've got a similar problem, Mine is oil in air tube. Mine doesn't have PVC valve. On the 2.2L it is built into the valve cover. I'm replacing the valve cover and will let you know if that fixes it. I was told that the drain ports in valve cover were stopped up.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Richboy1969
I've got a similar problem, Mine is oil in air tube. Mine doesn't have PVC valve. On the 2.2L it is built into the valve cover. I'm replacing the valve cover and will let you know if that fixes it. I was told that the drain ports in valve cover were stopped up.fficeffice" /><o>></o>>
I have the same thing on my '03 Cav. Would be nice to know if replacing the cover fixed it.
Old July 7th, 2010, 3:46 AM
CF Beginner

As soon as I get it and get it on I will update with the results. I ordered a new one from Lake Chevrolet and haven't received it yet.
Old July 8th, 2010, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Sweet. Thanks Rich!
Old July 12th, 2010, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

That was the problem. I put it on a few days ago and check it this morning and there was no oil in the air intake. My car has alot of blow-by and i'm wondering if that is normal. It's only got 98,000 miles on it. There was alot of what I call oil varnish inside the cover. Crud on the front side. Hope this answeres somebody elses question.

Last edited by Richboy1969; July 12th, 2010 at 9:03 AM. Reason: Clairfy where oil had been.
Old July 13th, 2010, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks man.

Guess I know what I'll be doing soon. I was wondering if I might have pad a blown head gasket because of the oil. But no smoke out the tail pipe and no overheating. Compression test passed too. One other thing I see if a creamy colored froth on the dipstick, but I'm told that's normal with these cars.

Anyway, thanks again for the follow up Rich, very much appreciated!!
Old July 4th, 2016, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Solution?

I can see that there is a solution posted for the one who had oil in the air intake...but what about the problem of fuel in the air intake?

I have the fuel problem. The car just stopped starting. It tries to fire up, but won't turn over. We did notice today that there is a lot of fuel in the air intake. There are 2 hoses, one that runs to the fuel injector and one that goes to the air intake. Fuel is coming out of both hoses. We did have a used fuel pump put in (after the car stopped starting) by a different mechanic (we are wondering if he reversed the hoses coming out of the fuel pump?) and today we replaced the air intake (the black box that is in front of the injectors). It was then we noticed the fuel in the air intake. The original one had a loose hose at the back and it broke off today (wondering if that was the problem of it originally not starting anymore?) so it needed replacing, however this did not fix the problem of not starting. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old September 16th, 2017, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Smile Had problem, fied

My wifes Ford Taurus did the same thing. Diapham broke squirting gas into vacuum line. Had to hold pedal to floor to unflood to start. Yes that trick still works, tells computer to shut down fuel. Anyway took vacuum line off FP Sensor. full of fuel.