Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2005 Cavalier won't start after filling up with gas

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2013, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Cavalier won't start after filling up with gas

I'm looking for any ideas about what could be wrong with my car. I never have any issue with it starting unless I put gas in it. I fill it up with gas and it won't start. This has happened every time for the last probably 10 fill ups. I've also tried filling it up when it's only half empty and it does the same thing. Tried different gas stations, etc. It turns over but does not start. Usually if I wait a few minutes and try a few times it will eventually start. Last night I tried pushing on the gas pedal while starting it and it seemed to help. Once you start it up once, it is fine. I stopped at the store immediately after getting gas last night. Got in afterwards and it started fine.

The mechanic I take it to is stumped. I also called the chevy dealer in town and they hadn't heard of any issues like this. The fuel pump was replaced about a year ago. It has a new battery because we thought that was the issue at first and it was about due for one. They also replaced the ignition switch thinking that may be a problem since I guess that is a common problem with cavaliers. Like I said, it starts up perfectly any other time. Never had an issue with it not starting anywhere else. For some reason it only happens right after getting gas. I'm not too concerned since this is the only time it happens. It's more embarrassing to be sitting at the pump for a while haha. It would be nice to know what the problem is though. I appreciate any ideas!
Old October 26th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

theft deterrent issue maybe? check for body codes.
Old November 7th, 2013, 11:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Have your evap purge valve checked. I ran into this issue on Cadillacs. The purge valve sticks open, and when you fill up with gas, the vapors flood the intake system. Wait about 20 minutes or so then it starts just fine, right?

Yep. After re-reading your entire post, replace the purge valve.

Last edited by Headache Ball; November 12th, 2013 at 4:18 AM. Reason: poor spelling
Old November 9th, 2013, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Wow, the timing of your reply was crazy. It would start after a few minutes or if I pushed on the gas pedal, that would also help. We thought maybe there was water or dirt in the tank, so we scheduled for it to go in the shop Friday to empty it. I had just read your reply before I left to see if it was ready to pick up. Of course they found nothing in the tank. I suggested what you had said. They said they hadn't previously thought that because the check engine light never came on and there weren't any codes for it. They did a temporary fix though so see if that was the problem. I filled it up with gas when I left and it started right up. I'll try one more time and if it starts up again, we are definitely replacing it. Thank you so much for your help! If I wouldn't have got that reply right before going over to the shop, we never would have figured it out. I really appreciate it.
Old November 12th, 2013, 4:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Glad I could help!
Old November 13th, 2013, 7:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

great fix.

the cel must have been on. this condition would have caused fuel trim miscalcutations and large evap leaks.
Old November 14th, 2013, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah we still have the temporary fix until I have to fill up again and can definitely make sure it works.

The check engine light never came on. That's why they dismissed this idea all along. It is kind of strange. It came on now that they did the temporary fix of course. Not sure why it didn't come on before, but glad to know we pretty much have a definite answer. I appreciate the great feedback on this board.
Old December 4th, 2013, 5:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Bumpin you up eem.......... any progress on this issue. I'm interested to see what you found.