Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2L eco 80,000KM

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2013, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2L eco 80,000KM

Hello Forum,

I will try to describe an issue that has recently started with my 05 Cavalier. It's surely something that a mechanic would be able to diagnose with ease so I will try to be thorough with my description.

When I drive the car in a straight line, no problems. We'll say I have one hand at the 12 oclock position on the wheel. If I start turning ever so slightly to the left (11 oclock position...), my car emits a high pitch squeaking (almost like metal on metal grinding, almost like when your brake pads are worn and the wear indicators starts to grind). If I return to the 12 oclock and go to the 1 oclock, nothing. So clearly my car makes a sound when I start turning towards the left. It doesn't necessarily get increasingly noisier the more left I turn, it does maybe from the 12 oclock to 9 oclock say... but after that it's a steady solid squeaking/screeching/metal grinding sound.

I don't think it's a wheel bearing since I've had to replace those on my 99 in the past on a few occasions and the symptoms/sounds for that was more a lower grinding, and got worse as you continued to turn. My problem on the 05 is high pitch. Also, another indicator is that when I turn left on my 05, the high pitch seems to come from the left side of the car too. Whereas if it were a wheel bearing and I turned left, then it would indicate that the right wheel bearing needs replacement (and therefore the sound would be coming from the right ride of the car, not the left like in my case)... anyway I'm not a mechanic nor will I pretend to think that I'm well verse in automotive mechanics. I have basic knowledge and have done only basic repairs (brakes, bearings and tie rods).

If anyone has any thoughts on what this could be, I would certainly appreciate your assistance.

Thank you,
Stephane
Old September 9th, 2013, 1:56 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

iamoasis Welcome to the forum sounds to me that you know enough to know what your talking about

I would still suspect the brake pad wear indicator, have you tried raising the front of the vehicle and spinning the wheels (as much as you can for a front wheel drive) with the wheels aimed straight and then at an turn angle...
Also with the front off the ground it would give you and opportunity to verify that it is not a bearing issue...

Might also try the driving maneuver in reverse to see what if any noise is produced..
Old September 10th, 2013, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi in2pro,

thank you for your comment. No I have not tried raising the car yet. I was thinking about doing that, but you've now confirmed that I should do it.

When I do drive in reverse, the same sound occurs. I know that for a fact. But thinking about it now, I can't recall if it's when I have my wheel to the left or to the right while reversing.... anyway, I suspect you're right with your diagnosis.

I will go down south and pick up pads, rotors and calipers and do a full front brake job. Prices at O'Reilly are great.

Thank you for your help!