Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

The 2005 Chevy Cavalier that is making me change my major to a mechanic.. HELP

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2017, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down The 2005 Chevy Cavalier that is making me change my major to a mechanic.. HELP

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier.. my fun go cart is currently out of commission and i cant find the culprit. I was driving on the highway on Friday when the blowing heat turned ice cold and the temp on the gauge started to rise until she overheated and stalled. Took me two hours to get home from where i was at, going 20-30mph and stopping 4-5 times to cool her back down. I had nothing leaking from my car at all. I drained the coolant out and removed the thermostat. I tested it in boiling water and it was junk. Okay cool. Replaced the thermostat. Put everything back together correctly, aside from putting the exhaust manifold back on just in case this wouldnt fix my problem. I took her for a test drive after filling back up with coolant. still overheating and still no heat. well stupid me, I forgot to remove the air from the cooling system. My model does not have a bleed valve or a bleed screw. at least i cannot find one, nor can anybody else that i have asked. I cranked the passenger side up, took off the surge tank cap and let the car run for a good 25 minutes. The surge tank bubbled like crazy, almost overflowing coolant on every bubble. Then coolant started leaking underneath by my passenger side front tire, sometimes just drips and once in awhile a tiny stream, when the car is off it doesnt leak. While the car is running the upper and lower hoses are not filling with coolant at all. Even after the bubbling had stopped. I'm able to freely squeeze both of them. Upper gets hot and lower stays cold. The engine began to overheat again, still no heat blowing from the vents in the car. so i shut her down, put her in neutral and pushed her out of the garage to clean up my coolant mess. Now i dont know what to do. This is extremely frustrating.I have a pressure tester but isnt it pointless if the coolant isnt circulating? My car has a vibrating sensation when shes running which is new. Like i said, the thermostat was put back together properly, i was not leaking coolant at all until running my car with the surge cap off... any help would be greatly appreciated..im on my own with this one...
Attached Images  
Old March 19th, 2017, 8:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

make sure the water pump is circulating coolant. if ok, a clogged heater core on these vehicle will cause an overheat condition

Last edited by tech2; March 19th, 2017 at 11:38 PM.