Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

93 cav overheating?

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2015, 1:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the 93 anything like the 2002? This is what I found, "2002 still getting hot after changing everything"
Old May 23rd, 2015, 7:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Wow! what a battle! the one I am working with was not so tough to work with. They have changed a lot from 1993 to 2002, mine has the blocked of front end and all the air flow for the radiator goes through the bumper. Not the best idea when driving in 2 feet of snow... It gets left home when it snows out. Temp has always ran right about 1/2 way up on the dash gauge, now it is much lower, closer to the first line which I figure is around 175 or so. Still have not heard the electric fan come on but watching the temp as I drive, I see it move up and then back down like it should so I am satisfied that it is working. Turned it back over to my son so I won't see it again until something else breaks.
Old May 24th, 2015, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BW56
Is the 93 anything like the 2002? This is what I found, "2002 still getting hot after changing everything"
Well, the concept of car cooling is the same.. same issues..fans/coolant/water pumps/thermostats (under neath the car behind the exhaust manifold on 2.4l).

Motor is entirely different than the old 2.8l/3.1l v6... dohc i4 was the most powerful motor in 2002.
Old May 24th, 2015, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jimvw57
Wow! what a battle! the one I am working with was not so tough to work with. They have changed a lot from 1993 to 2002, mine has the blocked of front end and all the air flow for the radiator goes through the bumper. Not the best idea when driving in 2 feet of snow... It gets left home when it snows out. Temp has always ran right about 1/2 way up on the dash gauge, now it is much lower, closer to the first line which I figure is around 175 or so. Still have not heard the electric fan come on but watching the temp as I drive, I see it move up and then back down like it should so I am satisfied that it is working. Turned it back over to my son so I won't see it again until something else breaks.
So what did you do in the meantime to get it to appear to work?

I saw a 93/94 red z24 convertible yesterday... very rare these days around here..and it looked in pretty decent shape and wasn't all beat up.
Old May 25th, 2015, 9:54 AM
CF Junior Member

There are 3 93 convertibles running around town here, My son's white/Black top, another white/white top, and a red/black top. The other white one belongs to a guy at the parts store, and the Red one belongs to a girl I have not met yet. Only seen it few times.

I think the radiator is large enough to afford some cooling with the ram air effect until it gets too hot, then it gets hotter quite fast.
Old May 25th, 2015, 2:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jimvw57

I think the radiator is large enough to afford some cooling with the ram air effect until it gets too hot, then it gets hotter quite fast.
Turn on the interior vents if it gets too hot on the gauge... don't let her overheat.

I still thinking fan... I ran my heater for quite some time in the summer and sweated it out until I realized it was the fan.
Old May 26th, 2015, 5:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks, Like I mentioned, it gets no where near as warm as it used to even a year ago, so I believe the fan is probably OK. The gauge does get warm, then cools down when sitting in traffic so it looks like the components are now doing their job, and the temp gauge does not even hit the 1/2 way point on the gauge. It used to ride right about 1/2 way before this.
Old May 26th, 2015, 8:06 PM
CF Veteran

OK - sounds back to normal. Just have him be cognizant of it and turn the heat on if it gets out of control...

Not sure how old your radiator cap is....I was blowing out radiators until I changed radiators brands and then also put on a new cap. (1987 cavalier z24 2.8l).