Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Metal scraping noise??

Old March 12th, 2010, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Metal scraping noise??

This noise started all of a sudden very recently. I have an '01 Cavalier and it was doing fine until last summer. I've had squeeling when I turn the wheel to the left that my brother (who works on cars) has deemed as a problem with power steering, but told me it should be fine for the time being (when I am in a financial crisis). This noise I'm experiencing now started as only happening when I turned my wheel the other direction. It then began to do it when I hit the brakes, and this morning when I pulled into a the parking lot at my college, it did it while I was driving straight.

The noise sounds like metal against metal almost. It only really makes this noise after I drive for a while, like a half hour or so.

My brother and I live a little ways from each other, so I've been trying to get to him. But does anyone have insight on what's going on with my car?
The following users liked this post:
philipmarus (February 27th, 2023)
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if it's a metal grinding sound, i'd say your brakes are shot. could be wheel bearings maybe, but typically those make noise constantly. if it's more of a clatter or tap-tap-tap sound, i'd suspect cv joint(s). start with the brakes first tho.
Old April 5th, 2010, 4:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxman04
if it's a metal grinding sound, i'd say your brakes are shot. could be wheel bearings maybe, but typically those make noise constantly. if it's more of a clatter or tap-tap-tap sound, i'd suspect cv joint(s). start with the brakes first tho.
x2 on those brakes. Take it to a brake shop, most offer a free inspection.