Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

96 cav tran failure?? now engine wont run??

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2007, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 cav tran failure?? now engine wont run??

This is not my car, this is my girlfriends car (1996 cav 5 spd, smallest 4 cyl 2.2??)and this is how she explained the story of how her cav broke down this morning. while she was on the freeway for roughly 10 minutes she let off the throttle to allow another car into her lane. When she leaned back onto the throttle the car free revved as if it were in neutral ( 5 spd ). she explained the trans was still firmly in 5th gear and had not "popped" out, she proceeded to downshift to 4th and the engine again revved free. now all that makes sense to me, clutch or tranny simply failed in some fashion or another, i have not had time to check it out completely as i am at work and the car is still on the side of the road. The part that throws me off is after she pulled off the freeway and onto the side of the road and turned the car off, it will no longer start, it turns over great, immideatley starts and shuts right off almost as if there is some crank sensor problem or fuel delivery problem. is there a "limp" mode in the comp not letting the engine run because of the trans issue? ha anyone heard of this type of problem?? any info would be greatly appriciated. thanks
Old March 21st, 2007, 1:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 96 cav tran failure?? now engine wont run??

diesels have a limp home mode but it sticks hte tranny in second gear, and low idels you home, Im guessing you have a fuel pump failure as well as tranny/clutch issues,

Step up be a man by her a new Cobalt