Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

96 Cavalier Starting Issues... Passlock????

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2010, 3:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Cavalier Starting Issues... Passlock????

So this is the story. I have a 96 Cavalier base model with a manual transmission. I bought the car from a friend who had never had any problems with it starting before. There were two keys that I got with the car but they were both copy keys. I had been driving the car for about a month and had a few issues getting the key to turn in the ignition almost like it was a steering lock but then would go away. Then one day randomly I had the whole dreaded "Passlock I" symptom kick in. I was able to do the relearn and it worked for bout a day. I now can't get it to run at all. Its got a new batt and alternator. I tried buying a remote starter bypass system from auto store and hooked it all up but then realized I need to have the car running i order for it to work, if this would even help.... So I'm basically wondering if its a bad lock cylinder, wiring issues, or some other random problem. Any ideas, suggesstions, expert advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I installed the remote starter I found (Google) lots of good tutorials how to disable Passlock. Once the Passlock is disabled you can diagnose the real problem, if any.