Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

96 cavalier wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2013, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 cavalier wheel noise

Hi, I'm new here and not very familiar with this car as i bought it recently....... i'm having an issue with my 96 cavalier. at around 35mph+ i have a humming sound coming from the front tire, gets louder the faster i go, i was thinking but im not so sure. i jacked up the front end and tried to see if there was any play in the tires and there is none. i also secured the car and accelerated it in the air and no noise, its just when it has a load on it, i didnt do each tire independently. no cracks on the cv boots nor clicking, no vibration on the wheel, doesnt pull to the side it stays driving straight if i let go of the wheel, are not locked up, tires spin freely. when im turning to the left the noise isnt as loud and when i turn to the right it get louder and more consistent. everyone keeps telling me it needs a passenger side bearing but i want to be sure and get some input. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Last edited by 98cav4u; December 11th, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old December 13th, 2013, 8:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98cav4u
Hi, I'm new here and not very familiar with this car as i bought it recently....... i'm having an issue with my 96 cavalier. at around 35mph+ i have a humming sound coming from the front tire, gets louder the faster i go, i was thinking but im not so sure. i jacked up the front end and tried to see if there was any play in the tires and there is none. i also secured the car and accelerated it in the air and no noise, its just when it has a load on it, i didnt do each tire independently. no cracks on the cv boots nor clicking, no vibration on the wheel, doesnt pull to the side it stays driving straight if i let go of the wheel, are not locked up, tires spin freely. when im turning to the left the noise isnt as loud and when i turn to the right it get louder and more consistent. everyone keeps telling me it needs a passenger side bearing but i want to be sure and get some input. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
Other than wheel bearings and loose lugnuts can make strange noises like humming or faint helicopter,

I would rotate the tires front to back and see if it still happens to exclude the tires.

I had a minor front end accident once and there was always a hum after that.