Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Past Chevrolet Cars > Cavalier
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default 98 z24 does not want to go into gear

Hey all,

Just found this forum through a google search and hope I can find some help here. Here goes...

My 98 Cavalier z24 all of a sudden doesn't want to go into gear. I don't mean while I'm driving but when I'm shifting from gear to gear, for example, park to reverse or reverse to drive. I feel like I'm fighting with the shifter. The first thing that came to mind was checking the trans fluid but to my surprise this POS doesn't have a dipstick for trans fluid. Once you get it into drive, the transmission shifts from gear to gear fine. It's just getting the lever to go from park to drive that's the problem. I have no idea could be causing this. Any hints in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

For anyone who may find this through a search engine, the issue has been resolved. I believe the part that went bad is known simply as the shift cable. It's a line that runs from the gear shifter to the transmission. The cable became tangled and was making it hard to move the shifter. Unfortunately, the part is only available through GM so I had to take the car to the dealer. It was roughly $100 for the part and roughly $100 for them to install it. For those who want to attempt replacing the cable themselves, the center console (where the shift lever and cup holders are) must be taken apart.

Good luck
Old 06-01-2009, 10:31 AM

Tags
1995, cable, cavalier, chevy, colorado, console, doesnt, drive, gear, gm, impala, k5, lumina, monte, remove, shift, trans