Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

99 Cavalier possible broken subframe

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2017, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Cavalier possible broken subframe

Yesterday when I picked my mom up from work I heard a clunk when putting the car in drive. I hadn't heard that noise before, it sounded different from a CV going bad, so I asked her to put the car in drive so I could see if anything was moving in the engine bay, and the entire engine moved about 6 inches. At first I thought if there was an upper engine mount like I've seen on quite a few FWD cars, but there isn't one, so that makes me think it might be a broken subframe. I haven't had a chance to go under the car yet, as I don't trust my crappy 2 ton jack stands. I didn't hear anything before that, but the road leaving the house is in pretty bad shape with the snow thawing and then freezing again, and so is the road to her work, so that's another reason I believe the subframe is broken. I've read that a broken subframe can cause a vehicle to pull to the left or right, but the car still drives perfectly straight. I didn't see anything when I did an oil change on it two days ago and don't feel like driving it out to my friends house to get his ramps again.
Old March 18th, 2017, 8:06 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Check all your motor mounts.