Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

AC Overpressure, freon cloud.

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Overpressure, freon cloud.

Ok, really dumb mistake here. Pretty new to the whole "fixing cars on my own" thing, but here's the deal. My car is having the same issue that is described in the thread below. Basically, in idle, the car constantly tries to kick on the compressor and fails over and over. The only time the AC works is when I'm on the highway. The car jumps form about 600 to 1000 rpms every few seconds when it tries. I'm going to replace the connector, as suggested in the forum and hopefully that corrects that issue. Now for the mistake... I bypassed the AC relay (jumpered it out) to see if the system would kick in to see if I'd get any cold air, obviously bypassing the high/low pressure sensor that is supposed to cut power to the relay. I left it bypassed for probably 20-30 seconds and then a cloud of freon with a whooshing sound started to pour from the engine. I'm hopeful that I didn't really screw something up, but I'm wondering if there was just a high pressure relief valve that opened up until I turned the car off. Does that sound plausible, or do you think it is worse than that? Again, dumb mistake, I know, but please help me out.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cav...lp-1675/page2/