Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Past Chevrolet Cars > Cavalier
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Default all instrument lights come on, guages stop working

ok, so i just bought a 2000 Cavalier coup with the 2200 series motor and manual trans. i only paid $1000, so i was expecting some problems. here is what its doing. i can start the car and let it idle and nothing will happen but as soon as i put it in gear all of the lights on the instrument panel will light up and the guages will work for a bit, then go down like when the car is off. if i am crusing in one gear only the check engine light and theft alarm light will come on. but the guages still turn on and off. i also get a message on the odometer that just says "error". at first i was thinking it could be the vehicle speed sensor, but i cannot find any listing for one for a manual trans at any parts house. another thought was the PMC could be bad. i wont be able to run a diagnostic on it untill thursday. on a side note, it does have an aftermarket stereo. if anyone has had this problem, please let me know what it was.
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:51 PM

Default RE: all instrument lights come on, guages stop working

ok, search came up empty, but i found my answer. its a bad ground behind the instrument panel.
http://www.chevroletforum.com/m_55275/tm.htm that is the post i found
Old 05-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Default RE: all instrument lights come on, guages stop working

i talked to one of the guys at work today who used to have a cavalier and he said he had the same problem. he recomended running a wire from the ground prong (fender side closest to the firewall) to the negative battery terminal. i tried it since it is easier than removing the dash and it works. now as soon as i finnish the brakes, tune up and fluid changes, i will have a nice reliable car. maybe this will help someone.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Tags
03, 2000, cars, cavalier, chevy, dash, drop, gages, gauges, gm, instrument, lights, panel, pmc, stop, working