Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 cavalier died wont start

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2010, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 cavalier died wont start

Hey folks,
Im driving my 2002 cavalier to work and I start to loose power. I give it more gas still loosing power. I pull over shut it off and try to start it.... wont start. I can hear the fuel pump working. and I have spark at the plugs. I was leaning toward a cam sensor but Ive never heard of one failing like that. Could it have jumped time? It didnt buck or backfire or anything just started loosing power all of the sudden. Thanks for all your help. Mason
Old April 10th, 2010, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mason32; sounds just like the same thing happened to my 2004 cavalier. Turned out to be timing chain slipped just a little bit. After having spent hours checking out everything else as possible problem. The thing is what we found was the upper bolt of the right side FIXED GUIDE was sheered off and it and the guide was worn down showing that it was like this for years, probably from the factory. Anyway I'm replacing the bolt and guide only and using everything else.Timing chain,tensioner and the adjustible guide,sprockets. I am getting new timing chain front cover gasket kit, reset the timing chain and put it all back together.
My engine is a 2.2L 4cly dohc ecotec.I had to drill out the bolt hole and put in one of those "HELI-COIL" springs to be able to use the bolt for the fixed guide.