Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

car runs rough after tune up

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2009, 2:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car runs rough after tune up

Hello,

My car started running rough, now my car had a big hole in the muffler so I thought that might contribute to the issue so I replaced that. That didn't seem to work, so I took it up to Autozone and had them run their simple code check and it said I'm having a misfire and knock sensor error. Now few months before this I had a head gasket replaced and I had my check engine lite come up after wards and my crank position sensor had an error, but my car never ran rough or had problems starting, so I ignored it. The light stayed on, no big deal, now it flashes. I replaced wires and spark plugs and still running rough. Plus after getting the muffler it runs kinda loud still. When I give my car gas it seems to lack power and takes awhile to get up to speed, but still safe to drive. Any suggestions what it is before I take this to a mechanic and get charged $900?

Thanks,
Tony

PS. My car doesn't stall out or even come close to doing so.
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound like a valve issue, complicated by a failed Knock sensor and crank position sensor. I would have a simple compression test run on the cyclinders. this will help narrow down if a valve was damaged or messed up when the head gasket was replaced. Also this time when you have it repaired, have them replace those 2 sensor.