Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Car trouble. . . don't know where to start.

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2015, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car trouble. . . don't know where to start.

Okay here are some specifics with my cavalier:
2002, 5speed, 173,000 miles
The engine was rebuilt about a year ago.

Here's the problem:
I was driving on the highway and about 10min into driving I hear this clicking down underneath the radio area. It sounded as if my fan was knocking up against something. It only made the noise when I would accelerate. As I stopped tapping the gas to listen to it the direction of the highway was downhill so it continued to make the noise. I breaked a little and it stopped but picked back up as I let off. It began to get louder and finally I felt the car shake a little and it sounded like something snapped and dropped underneath the car completely cut off. Smoke came from underneath the car and I was able to get over and off the highway. I can turn the car over but it will not fully start. I can put it into gear too. This is my first 5speed so I don't know much as far as trouble shooting one.

Please and thank you all for any help!!!

Basically I don't whether to take it to a tranny shop or normal repair, and with the cost of towing and diagnostics I'm a little frustrated. . . Can someone point me in the right direction??
Old February 11th, 2015, 1:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Do a visual inspection of the engine and the tranny. Maybe you can see something to lead to the problem area.