Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Car won't start after freezing rain

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2013, 3:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start after freezing rain

My 2002 Cavalier (auto) will not start this morning. We had snow last night, followed by freezing rain, but everything seems dry and looks normal under the hood, so not sure if this issue is related to the weather. The interior lights came on just fine, but they died as I turned the key to start. It is as if the battery has died, so I boosted it, to no avail. Nothing at all. Then when I next got into the car, the interior lights came on brightly for a second, and the wipers cycled once, before everything returned to darkness once again. It is curently minus 12C out, so I am unable to stay outside for any length of time fiddling with it, and I decided to post my troubles here, with the hope that some of you fine folks may have some ideas for me.

To summarize, the battery is strong, but when I turn the key nothing happens, except the odd time when the interior lights may come on. Remember that the lights dimmed and died right out, once I turned the key on. Any thoughts for this guy who knows very little about anything mechanical?

If you can help me get this car going again, I would be eternally gratefull, as I live on a remote island with no way to get a car towed to a mechanic.

Thanks so much!
Glen B.
Fogo Island, Newfoundland
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camperbc
My 2002 Cavalier (auto) will not start this morning. We had snow last night, followed by freezing rain, but everything seems dry and looks normal under the hood, so not sure if this issue is related to the weather. The interior lights came on just fine, but they died as I turned the key to start. It is as if the battery has died, so I boosted it, to no avail. Nothing at all. Then when I next got into the car, the interior lights came on brightly for a second, and the wipers cycled once, before everything returned to darkness once again. It is curently minus 12C out, so I am unable to stay outside for any length of time fiddling with it, and I decided to post my troubles here, with the hope that some of you fine folks may have some ideas for me.

To summarize, the battery is strong, but when I turn the key nothing happens, except the odd time when the interior lights may come on. Remember that the lights dimmed and died right out, once I turned the key on. Any thoughts for this guy who knows very little about anything mechanical?

If you can help me get this car going again, I would be eternally gratefull, as I live on a remote island with no way to get a car towed to a mechanic.

Thanks so much!
Glen B.
Fogo Island, Newfoundland
Do you have a voltmeter to prove that the battery is 'strong'?

What does it read?
Old December 31st, 2013, 11:24 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

You either have a battery problem or a problem with the battery cables. Check the cables for corrosion or looseness at the battery or where the cables connect at the other end of the cable.
Old December 31st, 2013, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank-you both very much! I went out and wriggled the battery cables around, and it fired right up. They did not appear to be loose at first, but I tightened them another quarter turn and everything is hunky-dory.

Thanks again!

Glen