Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

A little help with a 96 please?

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2010, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help with a 96 please?

Ok. About two weeks ago my battery somehow corroded the negative wire that is connected to wear the battery holder is. I replaced the battery,connected the new negative cable to where the old one was (removing the old cable completey) and everything appeared to be fine. Now all of a sudden when i start to drive the ABS light comes on along with the BRAKE light and i hear a ticking. My radio starts to flash as well. I removed the ABS fuse and the lights stayed on but no ticking and the radio worked...however, when ever I turned on the heat/air or turn on headlights the radio turns off and turns back on and the lights flickered.

I managed to drive it today and got to class, now the car won't turn on at all. Can anyone tell me whats goin on

The cable i used was this one by the way, <a href="http://bit.ly/bnHpaT" target="_blank">http://bit.ly/bnHpaT</a>.

I'm not sure where that little yellow piece is supposed to connect to so I just left it.

I'm thinking something somehwere is loose or needs to be grounded. The only problem is, I have NO place to ground it to (i think!). I've read some other places that say the cavalier has a little metal eyelet underneath the battery tray, but my battery tray was so bad...I don't even have that. Also, when i open the car door nothing happens. no lights,no no power locks. nothing. HOWEVER, if I sit down slightly in the car (putting a little weight on the drivers side where the battery is) or mess with stuff a bit, lights come, it starts, but I still get those lights from before.
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi jay990,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

First, the yellow thing on the end of the small wire is a crimp connector. All you have to do is connect it, via a little additional 10,12, or 14 gauge wire, to ANY small bolt or screw close to the battery on the car body.

When you changed the cables, did you change the connector bolts?

How is the engine to firewall ground strap?

In the event these repairs fail to produce results, you may want to carefully inspect your positive cable for corrosion.