Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Cavalier gas guage/fuel tank pressure sensor problems code p0452

Old September 6th, 2016, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cavalier gas guage/fuel tank pressure sensor problems code p0452

I have a 2003 chevy cavalier that is having some pretty frustrating issues. It has a fuel gauge that shows full right when the car is started, but after about 10 to 20 seconds, it drops to empty and kicks on the "check gauges" light, to indicate low fuel, regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank. when this issue started, it also came with another problem, whick was a DTC code of p0452, which is the fuel tank pressure sensor. Well, the fuel pump, sending unit, and fuel tank pressure sensor were replace and the codes were cleared, but the problem was not fixed. After some research and studying of some schematics, I have probed the 5 volt signal wire for the fuel sender and the pressure sensor from the pcm all the way to the tank, then back up to the BCM, at which point I cannot find the proper schematic for testing. I've done all that I can do up to this point, but I don't know what I can do to test any further. the instrument cluster was rebuilt about 3 years ago, but I'm thinking that something may have gone bad in the cluster, because all of my wiring is all good thus far. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old September 7th, 2016, 7:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vernd33501
I have a 2003 chevy cavalier that is having some pretty frustrating issues. It has a fuel gauge that shows full right when the car is started, but after about 10 to 20 seconds, it drops to empty and kicks on the "check gauges" light, to indicate low fuel, regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank. when this issue started, it also came with another problem, whick was a DTC code of p0452, which is the fuel tank pressure sensor. Well, the fuel pump, sending unit, and fuel tank pressure sensor were replace and the codes were cleared, but the problem was not fixed. After some research and studying of some schematics, I have probed the 5 volt signal wire for the fuel sender and the pressure sensor from the pcm all the way to the tank, then back up to the BCM, at which point I cannot find the proper schematic for testing. I've done all that I can do up to this point, but I don't know what I can do to test any further. the instrument cluster was rebuilt about 3 years ago, but I'm thinking that something may have gone bad in the cluster, because all of my wiring is all good thus far. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and repair instrument clusters. We can't diagnose without seeing and testing the cluster, but if you are positive that the rest of the things mentioned are good to go on the car, then you may want to send the cluster in for us to run diagnostics on it. Here is the link to learn more about the diagnostics service:

Diagnosis

Let us know if you have any questions at all. We are happy to help you out in any way that we can. Give us a call here today too, and we can talk more about the cluster and gauge issues.

Thanks!
Old September 7th, 2016, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Thank You for your suggestion Tanin Auto Electronix, swapping the instrument cluster with a different cluster was my next plan. I live in a very small town and have a junk yard close by, with which whom I have a pretty good working relationship with. They do some work on cars there and I have helped them with some things that they couldn't figure out. I was hoping that they may let me try out one of their clusters, while I let them hold mine. If their cluster solved my problem, and all of the gauges work, I'd buy it (for the right price), if it solved my problem and the gauges weren't ALL functional, I could just rest assured that sending my cluster for repair would be a home run! Thanks again for your response and I will post the results as soon as I have them!
Old September 7th, 2016, 9:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vernd33501
Thank You for your suggestion Tanin Auto Electronix, swapping the instrument cluster with a different cluster was my next plan. I live in a very small town and have a junk yard close by, with which whom I have a pretty good working relationship with. They do some work on cars there and I have helped them with some things that they couldn't figure out. I was hoping that they may let me try out one of their clusters, while I let them hold mine. If their cluster solved my problem, and all of the gauges work, I'd buy it (for the right price), if it solved my problem and the gauges weren't ALL functional, I could just rest assured that sending my cluster for repair would be a home run! Thanks again for your response and I will post the results as soon as I have them!
Living close to a junkyard is helpful! If you locate a cluster and it works fine but you need the odometer correction done, we can help with that too! Here is the link:

Speedometer Digital Odometer Mileage Correction

Thanks for the fast reply too. We know how frustrating it is to be stuck on a car repair and not know which way to turn on it. We do have a super fast turn around here if you do need us for anything.
Old April 28th, 2019, 11:39 PM
CF Beginner

hey i am having the exact same issue wondering if you had figured out this issue?

Search this Thread