Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Cavalier rough idle and stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2006, 9:43 PM
cwl
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cavalier rough idle and stalling problem

My son has a 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier with 114,00 miles on it. It has a 2.2 liter four cylinder engine in it. He drove it from Pensacola to Kissimmee (500 miles) the other night. He got off the highway when he was about halfway home to drop off a friend. At the first stop sign the car idled way down and then stalled. For the rest of the trip he had to put the car in neutral and rev the engine a little to keep it from stalling whenever he got off and came to a light or stop sign.

The next morning I was able to start it and it idled. However, once it warmed up it began to idle very roughly almost stalling. Once I took it out and drove it it replicated the same problem he had with it.

I put some injector cleaner in it...filled the tank with gas...drove about 140 highway miles....it made no difference. A friend suggested I spray the throttle body with cleaner into the throttle body....which I did...it made no difference. I am not sure what to do next.

Today I replaced the plugs...two were quite bad....and the wires. I also found a vaccum hose that was off and put it back on. I started it...and...it seemed to run fine. However, I went and ran some errands and it went back to the same problem although didn't stall quite so quickly. It is now dark and so I can't check to see if the vaccum line came off again.

I am looking for suggestions on what direction to go next.

I am wondering about the Idle Air Control valve. I read elsewhere that even if hte IAC is bad it wouldn't make it idle rough.

Any suggestions out there?
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:07 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Cavalier rough idle and stalling problem

i would check out the IAC
if its not working right
it could cause a rough idle
rough as in keeping iti from dying
Old November 28th, 2006, 1:26 AM
CF Pro Member

could be the TPS.
Old December 4th, 2006, 2:42 PM
cwl
CF Beginner

23- manifold air temp to low
23- throttle position sensor to low
33- map sensor or circuit too high
32- egr system problem
72- theft system malfunction

The last one is interesting...the car doesn't have a "theft system".
Old December 4th, 2006, 3:10 PM
CF Active Member

on the theft system thing
do u mean u dont have a remote

i dont have a remote ro power locks or anything

but it has a theft system its to keep people from hot wiring it

all the other problems could be related
do you know how to test any of that stuff
with a voltmeter
Old December 5th, 2006, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

if the stalling problem has not been fixed yet, i think everyone is overlooking that these are classic symptoms of a torque converter stuck in the locked position. currently i am having the same problem. all that needs to be done to fix it temperarily is to locate the wires going to the torque converter silenoid and just unplug it. this will make your gas milage pretty bad for a while, but take it to a transmission mechanic. it is not a very expensive fix. trust me the sooner you get it in, the better off you are.
Old December 5th, 2006, 9:16 PM
cwl
CF Beginner

Today I replaced the EGR, MAP Sensor, and the Manifold Temperature Sensor....and....the problem disappeared!

Thank you for all the help.
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 96 Cavalier 2.2, all of a sudden it acted like tranny slipped, it went into reverse fine but when back in drive, it hard to go forward and about 10mph it slips into gear and drives fine after that and when I stop again, it does it again and sometimes it don't, I have been told it is transmission slipping and need new one or it may just be the transmission silenoid. Can someone please help me out????
Old November 30th, 2012, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

I just went through this whole thing with my cavalier. I replaced all the sensors. All of em.

Be sure to check fuel filter. Replace it if necessary. I'm learning just how much junk is in gas now. It can clog up everything quickly.

While everything was original on my car (4th owner) and has been replaced? The biggest source of my problem was the power distribution box in the engine. As well as the sensors. Have that inspected if you can. Anything, the smallest of thngs can come loose because these cars are not graceful in their old age. The slightest bump in the road can cause a wire to jar itself and a whole schlew of symptoms that won't duplicate themselves to get it properly fixed.

Get a Chilton's book. I did. I studied it.