Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Couple questions with a '99 Cavalier

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2014, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions with a '99 Cavalier

So I took and bought my brother a nice 1999 Cavalier with 220,000 KM's, interior is in very clean condition, normal spots where rust is starting to show on the body. 2.2L, new alternator, new air filter, recent oil change, 5spd.

So far I have replaced the muffler bracket as they had it held with a piece of cable, put in a bottle of fuel system cleaner and a full tank of fuel, replaced the valve cover gasket, new AC Delco plugs, new wires, new rad cap, new wiper blades.

I've attached a copy of photo's I took. Top of the engine looks very clean inside, no sludge build up at all. The spark plugs I pulled out look like they have been in there a bit too long! 2 have no centre electrode left. It had a slight miss at idle and with the new plugs it is a lot better! Also took and cleaned the throttle body the best I could!

I do think the clutch must be getting quite worn out though. I have no problem with it going into any of the gears or reverse, but it seems like I have to let the clutch out basically all the way before it is catching. I have had an '03 & an '05 Cavalier and neither of them seem to have as much travel in the clutch. I did top up the clutch fluid as it was a bit low, which I'm guessing means it must be time for a new one...
Attached Thumbnails Couple questions with a '99 Cavalier-img_1484.jpg   Couple questions with a '99 Cavalier-img_1488.jpg   Couple questions with a '99 Cavalier-img_1489.jpg   Couple questions with a '99 Cavalier-img_1487.jpg   Couple questions with a '99 Cavalier-img_1486.jpg  

Old July 23rd, 2014, 5:26 AM
CF Beginner

118 views and no reply's!? No one has any ideas or thoughts?
Old July 23rd, 2014, 8:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I was one of those who viewed it and did not reply. I have been on the net since 1991 and I know too well responding to illiterate posts is useless (How To Ask Questions The Smart Way). Your KM's made me back off. There is a metric unit km - which stands for kilometer or kilometers (there is no s for plural in SI system and it is case sensitive).
Regarding your problem. There are two possible reasons for this. Air in hydraulics or bad clutch spring - I mean the spring in clutch assembly.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Segfault
Yes I was one of those who viewed it and did not reply. I have been on the net since 1991 and I know too well responding to illiterate posts is useless (How To Ask Questions The Smart Way). Your KM's made me back off. There is a metric unit km - which stands for kilometer or kilometers (there is no s for plural in SI system and it is case sensitive).
Regarding your problem. There are two possible reasons for this. Air in hydraulics or bad clutch spring - I mean the spring in clutch assembly.
I'm sorry, but I am NOT illiterate! I was typing on an ipad and sometimes the auto correct does wrong corrections. It is what it is!!!!

I took the car in today and i have a clutch kit on order (pressure disc, clutch, slave, throw out bearing), the brand is LUK. My dad is going to install it with me. Thanks for your possible reasons for my problem.