Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

01 2.2 No Lights

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2006, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 2.2 No Lights

I bought a 2001 Cavalier at the auction last week. It runs well, but we've got one small problem, no lights. Here's what happens:
1. Start up the car, put it in gear, daytime running lights(DRL) come on, no problem.Turn on the lights and the DRL goes out.
2. Car drives fine. DRL is on, yellow side lights are on but if you turn on the lights, the front lights go off but I do have tail lights.
3. About the 3rd time you start up the car, the DRL indicator flashes quickly on the panel, the service light (NOT the check engine) light comes on and the DRL's go out.
Went to AutoZone to have the service light read and it came back with a P1621 Error - something like Immobilizer codes does not match.
Roommate and the guy @ Autozone thinks it's a bad key but I'm not sure. Could it be the DRL Relay in the fuse box going bad? The car has manual locks and windows so I can's see it having a theft system on it. Anybody else have a guess??
Update - replaced the lights and the relay - same problem. Socket that the lights fit into doesn't make sense - 11 volts when on, 0 when off, but the lights don't come on. WTH?
Old November 22nd, 2010, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you find out what was wrong with it?

Just wondering what conclusion have you come to regarding the no lights issue? I have a 2000 Cavalier that runs fine and when I put it in gear the day time running lights flash real fast and then go out. When they go out the service engine light will then illuminate. I put my code reader on it and there are no codes. As soon as I turn the car off and then restart it everything is normal until I put it in gear. Once I put it into gear the daytime running light automatically flash real fast again and go out and the service engine light illuminates again. I checked the daytime running light relay disconnected the guages as that is what the manual says to do and still no luck. Just wondering if you found anything out with yours.

Thanks Crazyotto