Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Dome/Courtesy won't come on.

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2012, 7:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome/Courtesy won't come on.

Ok, I have searched through the forums with no luck finding anything related, so here we go.

I have a 1998 Z24 Cavalier in which everything seems to work fine on except that the Dome/Courtesy lights will not come on when the doors are opened or when toggled on. I have checked the standard fuses and bulbs and all are fine. Furthermore, when you turn the car off (not in accessory mode) the radio does not stay on, everything automatically shuts off instead of staying on until you open the door. On a side note my radio is a AC Delco with single disc player, the radio does pick up stations fine, but you can only barely hear them even with the volume all the way up. I did remove the radio and checked the connections and all were secure only difference was when I removed the antenna plug-in and the volume went from super soft to blasting (static) until it was plugged back in, however the radio does play a disc perfectly.

Sorry for rambling, and hopefully someone has any kind of idea. Thanks in advance!
Old January 2nd, 2012, 4:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Yours has a multi-function alarm module that controls the courtesy lamps and provides the retained accessory power function. In order for it to function correctly, it needs power through the ALARM fuse (hot in run) and INT LAMP fuse (hot always). Check the voltage levels at the aforementioned fuses. If not that, consider taking it in for service. The multi-function alarm module is around $100 and parts counters don't take it back unless you can prove it's defective.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I will check those out and get back to you all.