Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Engine Code P0480 HELP

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2007, 10:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Code P0480 HELP

P0480 Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit Malfunction

I get this code on and off all the time. It came on today...and by tonight it was off. Its kind of annoying because when its on the fan doesnt turn on until my car is almost over heating. Does anyone have any information about this code? Thank you
Old May 25th, 2007, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Engine Code P0480 HELP

I wish you'd posted your vehicle info so I knew what car you're working on

Here's the procedure for a 2000 Cavalier w/ 2.4L engine...

DTC P0480 Cooling Fan Relay Control Circuit

Circuit Description
The electric cooling fan is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) through the cooling fan relay based on inputs from the following components:
[*]Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor.[*]Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor.[*]A/C selector switch.[*]A/C refrigerant pressure sensor.[*]Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). [/ul]
The PCM controls the cooling fan by grounding the cooling fan control circuit which turns ON the cooling fan relay.
The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON when the following conditions are met:
[*]Engine coolant temperature reaches 106°C (223°F) or more.[*]A/C clutch requested.[*]Vehicle speed is less than 38MPH. [/ul]
The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON regardless of vehicle speed when the following conditions are met:
[*]A DTC is set that requests the coolant fan to be ON.[*]Engine coolant temperature is 151°C (304°F) or more.[*]A/C refrigerant pressure is high. [/ul]
The cooling fan may be commanded ON when the engine is not running under a fan Run-On conditions described in the Engine Cooling Fan Description - Electric portion of the service manual.
Conditions for Running the DTC
[*]The engine is running.[*]The battery voltage is greater than 9.5volts. [/ul]
Conditions for Setting the DTC
[*]The PCM detects that the commanded state of the driver and the actual state of the control circuit do not match.[*]The condition must be present for a minimum of 6seconds. [/ul]
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
[*]The PCM will illuminate the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) after tow consecutive ignition cycles in which the diagnostic runs with the fault active.[*]The PCM will record the operating conditions at the time during which the diagnostic fails. This information will store in the Freeze Frame and/or Failure Records. [/ul]
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
[*]The MIL will turn OFF after three consecutive ignition cycles in which the diagnostic runs without a fault.[*]A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm up cycles without a fault.[*]Use a scan tool to clears the DTCs. [/ul]
Diagnostic Aids
[*]If the cooling fan or cooling fan control circuit is shorted to ground the cooling fan fuse will open. An open cooling fan fuse will cause the DTC to set.[*]If the owner complained of an overheating problem, it must be determined if the complaint was due to an actual boil over, or if the Temp light, or temperature gage indicated overheating.[*]Check for the proper amount of coolant in the system.[*]If the gage, or light, indicates overheating, but no boil over is detected, the gage or light circuit should be checked. The gage accuracy can also be checked by comparing the engine coolant temperature sensor reading using a scan tool with the gage reading.[*]If the engine is actually overheating, and the gage indicates overheating, but the cooling fan is not coming ON, the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor may have shifted out of calibration and should be checked. Refer to Temperature vs Resistance for a Temperature vs. Resistance table.[*]If the engine is overheating, and the coolant fan is ON, the cooling system should be checked. Refer to the cooling and radiator of the service manual. [/ul]
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:34 PM
CF Junior Member

lol sorry its a 97 cavalier with a 98 2.2 engine
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Hi,
Just try swapping the cooling Fan relay with one similar or a new one..It could be a loose circuitry inside the relay and when the PCm doesent senses the closed circuit from the coil side of the relay..it just triggers the code.
Gud luck!
Old May 31st, 2007, 1:57 PM
CF Junior Member

yeah i swaped the relays already, that was the first thing i did but thank you anyways. But i got the fan working ok now. It ended up being my coolant level sensor of all things.
Old February 16th, 2009, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2001 Cavalier w/ P0480 code

Hello jlenko, ruffrider285 and bestharry,

I was hoping to pick your brains, I have a 2001 Cavalier 2.2 with the P0480 code due to a blown 30 amp fuse.
The relay was bad, changed it and ran ok for a couple of weeks, then the fuse blew again.
I have checked the fan with jumper and it runs fine.
So now I must have a short somewhere, but am a little out of my league trying to track it down.

Any suggestions?

many thanks Joe

Last edited by JoeCorbitt; February 16th, 2009 at 3:42 PM.
Old April 15th, 2009, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my kids cavalier did you ever get it fixed?
Old June 24th, 2009, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Help me

I have a 2000 Chevy Cavalier that has an error code P0480:fan 1 Control Circuit. It will not pass emissions so I can not get tags for my car. I am tring to be cost effective because my husband has been laid off for 10 weeks now so money is alittle tight. If anyone could please give my any suggestions that would be great!
Thank you for your time!
Old November 30th, 2009, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

i have a 2000 chevy impala that has an error code P0480:fan 1 Control Circuit. It will not pass emissions so I can not get tags for my car. could some one give me suggestions
Old August 31st, 2010, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 chevy camaro

Hi, a have the same problem with my camaro, p0480 fan 1 control circuit. I think I'm loosing a gound to the relay, if I apply ground to the relay with the power probe, the fan turns right on... can sombody help me with this??? Thanks...

Quick Reply: Engine Code P0480 HELP