Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

HELP!! Dont want to blow my engine.

Old July 28th, 2010, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Dont want to blow my engine.

I think I might be in over my head on this one, but that's why I am here to seek some expertise on what to do, where to go next, that type of thing. Have worked in and out to get this 1998 Cavalier running by swapping transmissions, putting a timing chain on an old motor and watching it blow, to now swapping motors and that is where it starts. I got a 1999 2.2L engine for my 1998 to swap, was said to have 90,000 on the engine. I do have several questions however, after comparing my 1998 engine to the 1999 I was under the assumption that the intake and cylinder head needed to both be swapped? I say that because the 1998 is configured to have a EGR valve, the 1999 is not and the cylinder head is where the EGR is attached. was this really necessary? it looks like I could have left the cylinder head and in fact fooled the computer to think it had an egr valve and just swap my fuel injector rails? I am after some advice now on what to do next because after doing the cylinder head swap (which make have been a mistake) I get a random tap.. tap tap tap... and then tap all spread out across the top end of the engine, is it possible that the top end(cylinder head) is my root cause to why the timing chain broke twice on my last engine? Anyone have suggestions insight? been thinking the valve lash is wrong?
Old August 2nd, 2010, 1:24 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lots of questions, you cant fool a computer unless it is reflashed, u may need to change the head (if everything works idk, im not a cavalier guy) and the timing chain thing is hard to say, the first may have broken because of wear, but the second more than likely happened because damage may have occured when the first broke (8 times out of 10 damage occurs on any car when timing belt/chain goes) and if it wasnt checked out after it broke, then that may be the root cause and the head you plan to swap may be damaged and unusable with a bent valve stem (would cause clatter) what ever you decide to do, if using the old head have it checked out by a mechanic