Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

fan wont kick on ! help

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2010, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan wont kick on ! help

OK its a 97 cavalier 2.2 Auto 4dr & this is my girls car, its got to get fixed so she wont get stranded. you know what I mean, but anyways she had problems were the car would run very hot but it didn't overheat about 3/4 on the gauge. I have replaced the water pump, radiator, thermostat, temp sensor & I replaced the stock fan with a high performance slim fan. it no longer runs hot but the fan wont kick on even if I let the car idle till the 3/4 mark, it wont get any higher than that even with the fan not working @ idle. the fan will turn on if I turn the A/C on, so that rules out the PCM. I swapped relays with the heater (they use the sameone) so that rules out the relay as the heater works great. the Temp gauge works, so the temp sensor is good. I've bleed the system & there's no leaks.
About where on the temp gauge should it be when the fan should kick on ? I'm stumped ! everything in the cooling system is new. Am I missing something else?

thank you very much.
Old February 17th, 2010, 12:30 AM
CF Beginner

update, I went ahead & replaced both the cooling fan/heater relays & the thermostat just now. now the fan comes on if I disconnect the temp sensor, but it doesn't come on if I turn the A/C on like before. also once the car gets warmed up & we head out the temp gauge drops down to the "C" from the 1/2 mark like its overcooling but the thermostat is not stuck open. HELP !

thanks.
Old February 18th, 2010, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

update..............
fan now come back on with A/C. since i disconnected the temp sensor the engine code prevented it from coming on.
Old February 19th, 2010, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

any1 ? please
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default A fualty design

I do know if you have been able to find the currect fix for this yet. The 2.2 enging is for some reason a difficult engine to get the cooling system to work properly. By design this engine is a highway engine.As I installed a manual switch in the center console many years ago. Although I drive a Corsica. I later replaced the temp sensor located in the thermostat houseing. I also installed a different thermostat,to allow for the coolent to flow at a lower temp.Sometimes the engineers seem not to get it currect at first.I still use the manual switch to keep the engine nice and cool in slow driveing/congested
condition's. The greatest cuase for mechanical/engine/cooling failure is excessive heat.