Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Having trouble finding 2003 Cav shift solenoids

Old November 28th, 2014, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having trouble finding 2003 Cav shift solenoids

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Cavalier 2.2 L with auto transmission that stopped shifting on me one day. It starts fine, and goes fine, just wouldn't shift out of first gear. It also gave a Check Engine light. Got it checked at AutoZone and a quick Google search lead me to a blown ERLS fuse. I replaced this fuse and all seemed well, then 2 weeks later it blew again.

I tried checking online to see what was powered by the fuse. It was mostly solenoids, primarily the 1-2 and 2-3 shift solenoids which is causing the shift issue. I tried unplugging the other easy-to-get-to solenoids one at a time to see if they could be stuck or shorted out, but after unplugging many of these, the fuse was still blowing and at this point, was blowing instantaneously. I unplugged the EVAP vent, the EVAP purge, the heated O2 sensor, the A/C compressor clutch relay, the stop lamp switch and the shift lock solenoid. Even with all of these unplugged, instant fuse blow.

I tried manually shifting into 2nd and 3rd gears, it still wouldn't shift. I tried replacing the transmission fluid and filter to make sure there wasn't anything causing the shift solenoids to get stopped up, that didn't work either.

Troubleshooting further, I wanted to see exactly when the fuse was blowing, so I went to go step by step to check when the fuse blew. It blows as soon as I turn the key to ON. I checked the resistance to ground from the fuse panel and I'm getting 0 ohms on one side. I went through the process of unplugging and wiggling all the connectors to the solenoids I could reach, and still got 0 ohms. The only solenoids I haven't checked yet are the shift solenoids. I'm having trouble finding these.

Does anyone know where the shift solenoids are located on the 03 Cav auto transmission? Or is it possible that there are other components powered by the ERLS fuse that I'm missing?