Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Help!!!!!

Old February 18th, 2015, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!!

I'm having problems with my 99 CAV and can't figure it out. I'm unable to get dash lights to work. Dome light, glove box light and trunk light are working. I recently bought a junk yard factory stereo with the plug to replace an aftermarket that was a clip and splice job. ALL wires are now spliced correctly and factory plug being used. When I turn on the headlights the radio goes blank, still no dash lights. ALL fuses have been checked in cabin and under hood - ALL good.

I have had to install a heater blower resistor (old one was broken and unit was wired direct to battery for fan to work - on high speed only). Coolant temp sensor (Engine fan had been wired to switched fuse - now corrected).

Since all these repairs happened - after setting for a couple of hours, engine will turn 1/2 revolution then nothing, but will jump start almost immediately. I'm lost on which direction to go next. ANY help greatly appreciated.
Old February 19th, 2015, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE: As of today, the car will not start after sitting for 5-10 minutes. Drove 35 miles, shut car off, went in a store for 2 items and had to get a jump when I came out. PLEASE - if you have any ideas what I should do next - PLEASE REPLY!! Thank you.
Old February 20th, 2015, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have checked battery voltage when starting before and after trying to start?

Are your battery connections clean and free of corrosion?

How old is the battery?
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default Wiring, Wiring, Wiring

Originally Posted by Melvin Ward
UPDATE: As of today, the car will not start after sitting for 5-10 minutes. Drove 35 miles, shut car off, went in a store for 2 items and had to get a jump when I came out. PLEASE - if you have any ideas what I should do next - PLEASE REPLY!! Thank you.
I really believe that you got things wired up incorrectly some where some how down the line. When my cooling fans harness broke it was causing really strange things. You need to get the electronics wired correctly first. If you need i can get pics for all. The heater fan. The stereo. When things are wired incorrectly many problems can occur. I really believe that is where your problems are coming from. I get get you pics and then make sure everything is wired back up to manufacture wiring diagrams. Let me know if there is anything or any way i can help.