Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body
View Poll Results: Was this Helpful To You?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Somewhat
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

HELP ME! Quick Do You Think A Bad A/C Compressor Shaft Seal Is The Culprit Of This?

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2013, 4:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP ME! Quick Do You Think A Bad A/C Compressor Shaft Seal Is The Culprit Of This?

So my girlfriend has a leak in her a/c system, And I got out my Manifold Gauges and put 1/4oz of the UV dye and sure enough there is a leak.. This is where my Knowlegde of A/c Systems gets fuzzy.. The UV dye is coming from BETWEEN the outter side of the Idle Pulley (the pulley that just spins when the A/C compressor is not engauged) and The A/C clutch where you have the 2mm Gap.. Could this Please possibly just be bad a $16.00 A/c Shaft Seal? The car sat for a very long time before she bought it. Im just not sure if the UV Dye and R-134a Would leak out of the system at this location because of a bad Shaft Seal? Help and thoughts please a $16.99 Part and a rental for the puller and Pusher for the seal would be so much better than dropping $300 for a whole new compressor + the new dryer and everything else that it needs from being a dry system for so long. I took a photo through the Yellow Glasses of the Leakage under the UV light and its pretty Severe this was after only about 45 seconds of running the Compressor and then cutting it off once I saw Dye Flying everywhere off the Belt.

Please try to stay on topic I have a lot of knowledge about cars and have 100% confidence in myself and I have a electric Vaccum and A set of manifold Gauges and everything else needed to do this job and I know I need
New, Accumulator/Dryer, Orifice Tube, PAG Oil, And Refridgerant. Just need your opinion on this leak Please and Thank You All.
Attached Thumbnails HELP ME! Quick Do You Think A Bad A/C Compressor Shaft Seal Is The Culprit Of This?-img955275.jpg  
Old June 30th, 2013, 4:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and yes the green junk is the UV Dye under the UV light through the Yellow Glasses that come with the kit. it oozes out the bottom of the outside of the pulley and through the clutch itself. Im going to pull it off later today and clean it all up. But I don't want to waste the time Replacing the Shaft Seal If this could not possibly be the problem. And yes I've heard from people just replace the whole compressor ($301.99 before tax ) but for $16.99 Its worth a shot if it could possibly work!!! the tool is free to rent as long as its returned in 24 hrs. So why not? .. Just need Advice Please.