Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

I need some brainstorming please?

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2012, 3:45 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

With an absolute air sensor, I don't think it would have a mass air flow sensor, don't bite, I am just saying. The fuel pressure won't throw any code. Misfire , and you state something on timing, I'd suggest as tech2 probably has a stretched timming belt. That needs replaced. The timming belt will cure the prelude to issues showing on a scan. Go from there after that is corrected, then please post back. Perhaps, looking back the AMF was AMP absolute manifold pressure?

Last edited by kevinkpk; November 25th, 2012 at 3:56 PM.
Old November 25th, 2012, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
With an absolute air sensor, I don't think it would have a mass air flow sensor, don't bite, I am just saying. The fuel pressure won't throw any code. Misfire , and you state something on timing, I'd suggest as tech2 probably has a stretched timming belt. That needs replaced. The timming belt will cure the prelude to issues showing on a scan. Go from there after that is corrected, then please post back. Perhaps, looking back the AMF was AMP absolute manifold pressure?

Ok had to look through my reciepts:

IAC sensor. (back of throttle body/really tight and hard to get to.)

Little inexpensive sensor on top of air intake/air filter area.

We pulled a sensor today off a Sunfire (same identical engine/same year as my chevy) that goes on the left side of the throttle body.

(We started replacing everything that would be a likely cause)

I will definitely look into the timing belt. But upon inspection? It doesn't look bad per say. Had the car into some shade tree mechanic year ago? And he said something about that then? But the car has been performing beautifully up until July this year. Timing belt is just an involved process? (don't you have to literally pull engine components out and away?) Boyfriend and I have been fixing this together. He had no knowledge of this as did I beforehand! (Internet! Process of elimination by symptoms!)

(trying to think of exactly WHAT sensor we pulled today from the junk yard...had a weird shape to it)

I really do appreciate the input. Trust me I do. This has been a great source of frustration just to get to this point. Tomorrow is another day. I'll go buy the belt. After we get the spark plugs in.

She's still starting up just like before. No hesitation.
Old November 25th, 2012, 7:36 PM
CF Monarch

Timming belt is a little involved, but until it is replaced with new, don't continue to throw money at it. It is what it is
Old November 25th, 2012, 7:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2.2 liter does not have a timing belt (even if it did you could not just look at it) It uses a chain. Sometimes (often) it is less expensive to pay someone to look at it, then spraying it down with the parts machine gun
Old November 25th, 2012, 7:48 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
2.2 liter does not have a timing belt (even if it did you could not just look at it) It uses a chain. Sometimes (often) it is less expensive to pay someone to look at it, then spraying it down with the parts machine gun
Pardon my ignorance, it will have a rope, chain, belt, for crankshaft to cam timing.
Old November 25th, 2012, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

You're right. It doesn't have a belt. It does have a chain. And, according to manufacturers of the timing chain? It's supposed to last the lifetime of the engine. Every site I looked at says that. I will assume the other part of the code that said "reset camshaft timing". (It said fix or reset.) *This engine with current circumstances, has been very well maintained. No leaks. No breaks. No anything out of the ordinary. We would have noticed it by now? And, we take it in for routine oil changes that include a list of 20 things to inspect just because. I'd think someone would notice the chain by now?)

It makes sense it would need to be reset with everything going on? Right?

Stupid computer controls everything happening with that car. It is missing a bit. But not nearly as much as it was before. It's stalled once. But briefly. Usually going towards a certain gas station. But not anywhere else we went. Just that ONE area. Restarted while in drive and kept going. I don't understand what the correlation is to that gas station but no where else we drove it? (it's not coincidence because it happened twice. Once each day for the last two days)

Last edited by Cyntthia Johnson; November 25th, 2012 at 8:05 PM.
Old November 25th, 2012, 9:58 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Timing chains do fail.
Old November 26th, 2012, 7:31 AM
CF Beginner

I can imagine they do.

I'll keep it at the bottom of the list for the moment. But, not going to really worry about it too much because I haven't seen or heard anything in the engine thus far to indicate it would need attention. It could be a simple issue of just resetting the timing. That could resolve itself once I get the new spark plugs in.

But I am going to look at it today anyway.

Thank you.
Old November 26th, 2012, 1:41 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Timing chains do fail.
Exactly. they can stretch, or even break. I don't know if the cam shaft gear is still made of nylon or what.
She stated there were some codes related to timing, I didn't read if they were posted. If the timing crank to cam has slipped there is only one fix. My recomendation is check the crank/cam relationship before doing anything else.
Old November 26th, 2012, 2:05 PM
CF Monarch

I looked online for a timing chain set, all the replacements show to be cast. It also listed a tensioner (autozone), I've never seen a setup like that.

Quick Reply: I need some brainstorming please?