Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Ignition cylinder wont turn chevy cavalier 98

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2014, 1:59 AM
hm4
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition cylinder wont turn chevy cavalier 98

I had problem with my ignition cylinder for the past 3 months. The key wouldnt turn smoothly, i had to wiggle the key around until it turned. Got in the car today, put the key in, nothing! The cylinder lock wont move at all, cant turn the key. Also the steering wheel is locked too now cause i was trying to free the lock by moving it left and right. The car is stuck in park, cant put it in neutral. I tried everything, blowing the lock with air, lubricating, hitting the lock to free it. I made a lot of research online and found a lot of stuff. It looks like its the Ignition tumbler cylinder just took a dump. I understand to remove it, the key has to be in the run position. Cant do it cause the cylinder wont move. The only solution that im left with i think it would be to drill the cylinder to release the pin but im concerned. Would the car have to be reprogrammed? Please all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks guys.
Old September 26th, 2014, 10:57 AM
hm4
CF Beginner

Comon guys, somebody please help. I need to know what kind of anti theft system chevy cavalier has. Can it be bypassed once i drill the cylinder and put a new one in? Is my car gonna be able to start?
Old September 30th, 2014, 7:20 PM
CF Active Member

My 02 has nothing in the key. Any cheap key copy works. The Fob controls the anti theft alarm and trunk latch.
Old October 19th, 2014, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

the lock cylinder can be drilled out and shifted into the on position and then it will pull out as you have seen online. but if you play with the key long enough and lighty bump it inward you may be to turn without alot of work. and then its just a matter of replacing with a new one. no security issues should arise. if does you can reprogram yourself
Old October 19th, 2014, 5:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the lock cylinder contains the passlock sensor. if you change it you will need to do a theft relearn or the vehicle won't start.

since the wheel lock is now engaged you will have turn the steering wheel to take pressure off the lock mechanism to ease turning the key

make sure the key itself isn't worn. if its worn have a new key cut using a key code, not by tracing the old key.

if the key is ok, try putting some white grease into the end of the lock cylinder and work it in with the key. you might be able to jiggle it to turn. Then work the grease into the tumblers.
if neither method works, time for a new lock cylinder. make sure they code the new cylinder to your existing key code so you don't have to carry one key for the truck and door and a 2nd for the ignition.

Last edited by tech2; October 19th, 2014 at 6:03 PM.
Old December 11th, 2014, 1:46 PM
J.R
CF Beginner

reprogramming the new one is easy, you just turn the key to the on position until the THEFT SYSTEM light goes out. I think it stays on for about 10 minutes.
Old December 24th, 2014, 6:49 PM
J.R
CF Beginner

let us know how you fix it.
Have you fixed it yet?
Old December 25th, 2014, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

hi guys

i had same problem with my 97 2 dr

i paid GM to cut me a new key from the v.i.n. ...... it didnt work

then i paid a lock and safe company to cut me new key, their key was 1000 better than the key cut by GM.... their key wouldnt turn either.

So i paid said locksmith company to come and get my ignition out or fix it.....

they took the good new key they cut for me earlier, and put it in ignition, then hammered the key in with the handle of a screwdriver, and proceeded to turn the ignition key with a long thin screwdriver thru the hole in the key for leverage , while hammering on it .....

then when they got the ignition lock out, they took ignition to their shop and rebuilt it with new tumblers for me.... so no reprogramming needed.......

now it works awesome hope this helps you

hope this helps you
Old December 29th, 2014, 5:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real men replace the Passlock with a resistor and have a big ON/OFF switch instead, who wants your Cavalier anyhow? Oh, I may be kidding here a bit ...