Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Intermitent horn problems

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2015, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermitent horn problems

2005 Cavalier 2.2l Ecotec. After replacing steering column and ignition lock cylinder,the horn began to really act up. I had problems with it before but it worked better. It's become really hard to get it to sound. You have to really mess around with it, hitting and pressing several times to get it to work! The horn and relay checked out ok. I called a Chevy dealers parts dept and they said the contacts are included in the airbag package. I have no intentions of spending 800 dollars replacing it. If I remove the airbag package does anybody know if there are contacts on the back of the airbag package and or on the steering wheel that may just need cleaning to get it to work better. If there isn't I'll have to bypass the horn and rig a switch up!
Could use some advise on the package and the best way to hook up a bypass switch to the horn.

Last edited by gage3780; October 23rd, 2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old October 28th, 2015, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fixed the horn problem by wiring up a horn switch to the horn relay harness after removing the relay. I now have a working horn.