Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

keeps stalling ?????

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2007, 9:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keeps stalling ?????

i just bought a 96 cavalier, i finally drove it to work this morning and the results were not that great. i was coming up to the redlight and came to a complete stop, then the motor stalled. it has happend a few more times since then but i cant figure out what the problem is. before i get completely stopped it feels like i im driving a straight shift and its still in 5th gear with the clutch disengaged and being an automatic it is a pain to downshift for the car if it dosent though im not sure its not in the correct gear and it almost always stalls and when the car stalls it starts back up quickly but when i put it in gear the car dies a few more times

some help here please!!!!!

1996 chevy cavalier
2.2 automatic
Old November 13th, 2007, 3:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: keeps stalling ?????

Is your check engine light coming on? If so, then check to see what codes are being thrown. If you don't have have a scanner take your car to AutoZone and have them pull the codes for you. They'll do it for free.
Old November 13th, 2007, 5:31 PM
CF Junior Member

This sounds like it would be either your throttle position sensor, or your idle air control sensor. Like they said, have autozone, or advanced auto parts scan the codes for you.
Old November 19th, 2007, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

turns out it was the 2nd overdrive sensor on the trans un plugged it and now it runs like a dream
and about the codes, i went to advance auto and the scanner said waitin for the vehicle to respond and nothin ever happend
Old November 30th, 2007, 9:42 PM
Site Moderator

I had the exact same problem on my cavalier back when I had it. I hear it's a very commen problem on cavaliers, at least that is what the garage told me that I had it fixed at. Mine was an '89, so I'm not sure if it would be the same, but mine was the Torque Convertor Clutch Solenoid (TCC) on the transmission. I had it fixed and it ran with no stalling. I called one transmission place and they told me that I would need a 1200 dollar transmission overhaul and that it would probably happen in a couple of months. They said I would need a new transmission. I had it fixed someplace else and I had no problem for the next 4 years, until the head gasket blew =(.